Re. This station is or was perfect

Subject: Re. This station is or was perfect
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 10:19:04 1996

> PD. Question... Will scott ka9fox break his record of beers of last year?
>
>   Top contenders for the beer record.
>
>   1.n0bsh
>   2.we9v
>   3.ea3ny
>   4.wd8ixe yes, you steve.

    Who said US operators don't know how to work the pileups?

73,   Steve   K7LXC

From: CT1BOH - Jose Carlos Cardoso Nunes <ct1boh@telepac.pt> (CT1BOH - Jose
Carlos Cardoso Nunes)
Subject: k1ea/k1ar conspiracy

Ever wonder why K1EA/K1AR always win?
There is a vicious conspiracy behind all those victories...(see P.S.)

I recently moved to another QTH about 30 Kms away from my station, at my =
parents home.
Having no radio to distract me I started thinking about the decision maki=
ng process in the CQWW and in any=20
contest in general as far as Running or S&P is concerned.

I believe one must update his decisions every 10 minutes, and you can eit=
her choose to Run or to S&P.
Lets say at the beginning of your next decision your score is:

S0=3DP*Q*M

where P equals points per QSO, Q equals QSOS and M equals multipliers
If you decide to Run for the next 10 minutes at the end of those 10 minut=
es your score will be:

S10R=3DP*(Q+x)*(M+v*x)

where x will be the number of QSOs you will work in the next 10 minutes a=
nd v will be the velocity you will=20
work the multipliers.
If your decision is to S&P your score at the end of those 10 minutes will=
 be:

S10S=3DP*(Q+y)(M+y)

where y is the number of new multipliers you found during those 10 next m=
inutes.
If you think S10R will be greater than S10S RUN if not S&P. Sounds easy..=
.doesn=92t it?
In order to calculate the value of x that gives the indifference QSO numb=
er between Run or S&P all we have to=20
do is to equal the two equations:

S10R=3DS10S

P*(Q+x)*(M+v*x)=3DP*(Q+y)(M+y)

resolving the equation in order to x

x =3D (-(Q*v+M)+SQRT((Q*V+M)^2+4*V*(Q*y+y*M+y^2)))/(2*V)

(SQRT=3DSquare Root)
So if you think during the next 10 minutes you can actually work more QSO=
s than x you should RUN otherwise S&P.
Looking at the formula there are two variables you don=92t know upon taki=
ng your decision:

v - Velocity of Multipliers during the next 10 minutes

        You don=92t know how many multipliers you would work, in case you
decide=
 to Run therefore you must=20
estimate what this number will be. I use the last 500 QSOs to estimate v =
(use the number that gives you the=20
highest correlation, depending upon your location, upon the time during t=
he contest, upon how strong your=20
signal is etc.). Also the historical value of M/Q during the last 12 hour=
s at 12:00, 24:00 36:00 and 48:00 is a=20
good indication. So in the next 10 minutes I assume I will work the same =
proportion of Multipliers per QSO I=20
did in the last 500, for example.

y - Number of Multipliers you are going to work in the next 10 minutes.

        You don=92t know how many Multipliers you will work if you decide to
S&P=
 therefore you must estimate this=20
number. Of course this depends on how good you are, how many Multipliers =
you already have, how powerful your=20
station is etc. But just for your reference, on Sunday from a DX location=
, after 12:00 if you can find more=20
than 3 new Mults in 10 minutes, that would be really great (PY0FF 95 CW).
Now the K1EA/K1AR Conspiracy.

K1EA/K1AR competition at the East Coast is using CT as their main logging=
 program.
They look at CT screen and they can value the time worth in minutes of a =
Multiplier..
So instead of thinking in the next 10 minutes think of time you will spen=
d working a new multiplier or the=20
number of QSOs you can work during that period of time (the rationale beh=
ind it is exactly the same).

How does CT calculate that number?

Well K1EA CT thinks

if you S&P for 1 mult your score at the end will be:

S1S(CT)=3DP*(Q+Y)*(M+Y)

and if you run instead of S&P for 1 Mult

S1R(CT)=3DP*(Q+x)*(M+0)

then for S1R(CT)=3DS1S(CT)

x=3DQ/M+1+1/M

therefore the value in minutes of a multiplier in CT is given by:

(Q/M+1)*(60)/(rate last 100 QSOs)

CT assumes that for y=3D1  x=3D(Q/M+1+1/M)

instead of=20

x =3D (-(Q*v+M)+SQRT((Q*v+M)^2+4*v*(Q*y+y*M+y^2)))/(2*v) =20

Running examples x(CT) is always greater than x for reasonable values of =
v (depending of v, but about 50%=20
greater)
So when you have to make a decision to Run or to S&P and look at the valu=
e of a multiplier in CT you think you=20
have more time to work a multiplier than you really have if you would con=
tinue Running.

If you are a strong believer in conspiracy theories you will think K1EA/K=
1AR use the correct value for the=20
worth in minutes of a Multiplier. Their competition thinking they still h=
ave time available to look for one=20
multipliers in fact don=92t and lose precious QSOs and points S&P when th=
ey should have been Running.
That is why they always win........

P.S. I don=92t believe in conspiracy theories=85

From: CT1BOH - Jose Carlos Cardoso Nunes <ct1boh@telepac.pt> (CT1BOH - Jose
Carlos Cardoso Nunes)

[...]

Jose Carlos Cardoso Nunes
ct1boh@telepac.pt

From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@wolfenet.com> (Ward Silver)
Subject: Rain Static

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Dale L. Martin wrote:

> When I was in the Navy and stationed at the Naval Comm Station at
> Keflavik, I had a station set up in my barracks room.  The antenna
> was an end fed wire.  I can remember snows that we had there (it
> really never got over a foot deep up there) really created havoc on
> my receiver (a bigtime SX-110--hey! this was 1964, afterall).  The
> first time I heard it, I didn't know where it was coming from, but
> there was this zzzzzzzsszszszsPOP sound over and over about
> every five or six seconds.  I quickly determined it was coming from
> inside the receiver.  I disconnected the antenna and got a jolt!  I
> found that if I held the wire (without any part of me touching the
> radio) I could draw an arc of about a half-inch or so.  Pretty
> potent stuff, that snow!
>
> I don't recall any similar phenomena or  problems with the rain, though.

This sounds like the buildup of electrostatic charge on an ungrounded
antenna.  I've had similar problems with just the wind blowing in dry air.
I'll bet this is old news to the Colorado contingent ;-)  A 100k-ohm,
1/2-watt carbon composition resistor from the antenna to ground will drain
away the static charge without affecting the RF parameters.  An RF choke
will do the same thing, providing a DC path to ground.

73, Ward N0AX

From: Danny Eskenazi <k7ss@wolfenet.com> (Danny Eskenazi)
Subject: First Rig/Contest

        Allright....allright.....I gotta get this in under the wire before
the thread of oldtimers reminiscing is banned alltogether on here....

1959 summer   KN7JCA   age 14     good thing I discovered cw and dxing
before i discovered girls, or I never would have upgraded!   close call
however!!

1959 SS,  75 Qs in 24 hours......  what a rate!!   My best to that date...a
"normal" QSO would take way over a half hour...and now 3-5 Qs an hour!  That
was RATE!!!!  and I was hooked.

1960 NR etc etc etc

(After running to the mailbox every day in the summer of 1959....finally got
my license..... it
took weeks of calling cq into a dipole with "wrapped" connections, as per
the drawing in the
handbook.....soldering?  whats that??  finally got a local 5 blocks away to
answer me!)

Also had the DU7SV experience!!  15 meters late in the evening...yelled to
the whole house...
"HEY!!!  I GOT GERMANY!!!!"

73

Danny KN7JCA/K7SS

To all you guys with a check of 1970 or more...please excuse the gushing
nostalgia of us new
OFs...it too will pass..

From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@wolfenet.com> (Ward Silver)
Subject: precip static: hints

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Douglas Zwiebel wrote:

> 1) SNOW static is just as bad a rain static...not much LIGHTNING in snow!

No, I don't think the two are equally bad.  Snow static might be worse and
there are definitely differences between regions in how bad rain static
is.  I've seen plenty of lightning in snow storms, by the way.  The snow,
because it falls in air of low humidity (the moisture is frozen) has a
better chance to build up charge and hold it.  The rate at which
snowflakes hit the antenna seems to me to be lower than for raindrops,
too, introducing another variable, that of rate of charge delivery.  (this
is getting too arcane)  Also, I think there's plenty of intra- and
inter-cloud electrical discharge in snow clouds.

> 2) Is the "static" due to charges imposed ONTO the element FROM the rain???

The static is the response of the receiver to a transient burst of energy
resulting from the sudden transfer of the charge on the drop or flake to
a surface at a lower potential. i.e., your antenna.  Another way of
generating that transient is for the charge to suddenly get "really close"
to the antenna, causing a displacement current in the antenna.  Either
way, it's a burst of noise across a wide frequency spectrum.  So the
static results from the sudden transfer of charge at or near your antenna.

73, Ward N0AX

From: n3rr@cais.cais.com (Bill Hider) (Bill Hider)
Subject: Guy wire thread

Steel guy wires loosen up with age due to thermal expansion/contraction.
They need to be adjusted (read: tightened) periodically, probably annually,
if the environment produces winter/cold and summer/hot temperatures.  Also,
they will be tighter in the winter than in the summer due the the ambient
temperature and their coefficient of thermal expansion.

Many hams seem to prefer loose guy wires. I don't know why.  All of my
mechanical engineering research shows that when things are loose (eg, bolts,
plates, etc) they are subject to other stresses (tension rather than
compression, for example) that might cause the material (steel) to weaken
and potentially break.  There is a study about such failures which was done
many years ago that verified this (I don't have the reference).

My research shows me that steel guy wires should be tightened to
approximately 10% of its breaking strength.  For my guy wires, 5/16 EHS,
that means about 1200 lbs.  Other size guy wires should be tightened
according to their maximum rating as well.

While I have an engineering degree, I'm not a mechanical engineer.  So, my
information has been gleened from various texts and discussions.  But, my
conclusion is that you want your guys, bolts, nuts, etc.,  tight, not loose.
If they are loose, you're asking for trouble.

73!

Bill, N3RR@CAIS.COM

From: Fred Hopengarten" <k1vr@k1vr.jjm.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Subject: Livingston, NJ

     Over the weekend of Saturday and Sunday, May 25-26, I
shall be in Livingston, NJ for a family visit with my wife's
cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.  Yes, I know it is the weekend
of WPX CW, but are there any contesters in that area willing
to offer me a few hours of refuge away from the madding
crowd?  I'd be willing to either tell tall tales, or operate
for a few hours.  Food not required, as I'll be escaping
from the temptations of overeating the large quantities of
comfort food available.

     So who lives near Livingston, NJ?
--
                      Fred Hopengarten K1VR
           Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105

From: jh1hrj@tpost1.netspace.or.jp (Kazuaki Oya) (Kazuaki Oya)
Subject: Which could be the correct contest No. of SPDX RTTY contest?

Please let me know if anybody knows the correct or the newest contest number
of SPDX RTTY 96 contest for non-SP stations.
There are two ways sent by non-SP stations in the contest today.

No.1: sending RST + CQ ZONE  :most WWW's information show this type
No.2: sending RST + Serial No. (+ CQ ZONE : optional??): many EU stations
use this type

Thank you in advance.

Kazuaki Oya, Amature Radio Station JH1HRJ

From: barry@w2up.wells.com (Barry Kutner) (Barry Kutner)
Subject: sprINT file for TR?

I recently got a copy of the freeware version of TR (4.something). Can
that be configured for sprINT? If so, can someone e-mail me the config
info? Many tnx/Barry
P.S. Sorry for the contest-related post. I know it's not the usual stuff
posted to the reflector :.)

--

Barry N. Kutner, W2UP       Internet: barry@w2up.wells.com
Newtown, PA                 Packet Radio: W2UP @ WB3JOE.#EPA.PA.USA.NA

From: jh1hrj@tpost1.netspace.or.jp (Kazuaki Oya) (Kazuaki Oya)

Thank you, Dick, for the quick information.
By the way I have another question.
Time period shown in www.sn.no/~janalme/rules is defferent from the time
priod shown
in www.canit.se/~txt/calender/rules.
If you or anybody might know which period, begging from 12:00z on Saturday
or 00:00z on
Saturday, is correct.

                                                                      de
JH1HRJ/ Kaz

From: Doug Grant <0006008716@mcimail.com> (Doug Grant)
Subject: Tower Offerings

W6QHS said:

>customary to throw coin of the realm into the hole before pouring concrete;
>this is an ancient practice that deals with evil spirits and noxious rays,

K5ZD/1 replied:
>In South Texas, it was always customary to bury a JA card under the concrete
>in each hole!  I can testify that DL cards seem to work very well under
>towers here...

Aha! Now I know what happened to the 100-footer here (featured in it's post-
vertical state on a CQ cover a while back.

Next time, in the base will go:

  - a JA card (maybe a hundred);
  - a DL card (maybe a few thousand);
  - a piece of each of the trees that clobbered the guy wires
  - a few dozen AOL trial disks

 DG

From: Torgny <txt@canit.se> (Torgny)

>By the way I have another question.
>Time period shown in www.sn.no/~janalme/rules is defferent from the time
>priod shown
>in www.canit.se/~txt/calender/rules.
>If you or anybody might know which period, begging from 12:00z on Saturday
>or 00:00z on
>Saturday, is correct.
>
>                                                                      de
>JH1HRJ/ Kaz

 Hello Kaz.
 The info I have for the calendar might be a bit old, so would
 guess that LA9HW's calendar is more accurate. I haven't had
 much time lately to revise and update the info... sorry.

 /Torgny - SM0TXT

From: Dean Norris <dnorris@k7no.com> (Dean Norris)

At 18:18 4/27/96 GMT, you wrote:
>I recently got a copy of the freeware version of TR (4.something). Can
>that be configured for sprINT? If so, can someone e-mail me the config
>info? Many tnx/Barry
>P.S. Sorry for the contest-related post. I know it's not the usual stuff
>posted to the reflector :.)

Hey.. watch it Barry.  If I wnated contest info I would subscribe to the swl
reflector!

{$-)

cdn

           C. Dean Norris
      Amateur Radio Station K7NO
      e-mail to dnorris@k7no.com
    http://www.syspac.com/~dnorris/

From: frank_n2ff@usa.pipeline.com (FrankFallon) (FrankFallon)

   "Got, Germany," really hit my funny bone...  I enjoyed that and
I am still smilling here.
    73 es thanks for a good story de FRank N2FF...