Rain Static

Subject: Rain Static
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 12:13:50 1996

>A good experiment would be to have three identical dipoles; one bare wire,
>one hookup wire, and one made from high-voltage lead wire for really thick
>insulation.  A good substitute for the high-voltage wire would be a length
>of RG-58 with the jacket and braid stripped off.  Then measure the
>noise-level during the next rainstorm.

Ward,

I tried, years ago, to insulate an antenna to eliminate this problem but that
effort was never *in the least* successful.

The only thing that helped was installing a tall grounded mast above the
antenna, and covering or removng sharp points on the antenna elements. Those
steps reduced the noise substantially.

If anyone tries your experiment, they need to be sure the antennas are the
same height and in a clear location free from other metalic or conductive
objects. The antennas need to be A-B'd.

To my knowlege, no one has ever done an experiment proving charged rain drops
are the source of the problem, and that insulation helps this and not a
corona problem. I'd be willing to bet the "rain drop discharge" is folklore,
and the real problem is corona discharge.

73 Tom