No subject

Subject: No subject
From: lu7dw@abaconet.com.ar (lu7dw@abaconet.com.ar)
Date: Sun Apr 28 23:44:54 1996
HELP

>From SHAWN LIGHTFOOT <shawn.lightfoot@lun.lis.ab.ca>  Mon Apr 29 02:12:00 1996
From: SHAWN LIGHTFOOT <shawn.lightfoot@lun.lis.ab.ca> (SHAWN LIGHTFOOT
<shawn.lightfoot@lun.lis.ab.ca>)
Subject: Guy Wires

On the topic of tensioning of guy wires:

The tower I currently own, is SUPPOSED to be of the self supporting
variety. For my own reasons, I don't really believe in having large
arrays on a self supporting tower. I realize that there have been
hundreds of them up and stay up...but I sleep better at night with a
guyed tower.

Here is my reccomendations, based on my installation, and my lack of
trust in ANY hardware.

I don't have my guys piano wire tight. I don't think there is any need
to, and there apparently isn't since my tower is still up.

I was always tought, that in any installation, there should be room for
a LITTLe flexablitly. Not too much, but enough that other components are
not always under strain. On my upper set of guys, I have 2 wires for
each guy station, running down to earth screws. With this configuration,
if I ever need to slightly tighten a guy wire, I simply leave one guys
wire attached, and loosen the other. The loose end is the guy wire that
is re-tensioned, which will then in turn cause the other guy to have a
little extra slack in the middle. I then tighten the one I had
originally loosened, and double check my connections. I simply then
loosen the other guy, and tighten it to the approx. tension of the other
wire.

In this way, I have completely eliminated ANY tensioning devices in the
guying system. The break strength of the tensioning devices is usually
less (unless you spend big bucks) then the breaking strength of EHS guy
wire. I am a paranoi nirvosa when it comes to hanging lots of metal high
in the air, and with the two guys wires, plus eliminating the tensioning
devices, I find that I can rest well at night, and there is not a wind
storm yet, (and we CONSISTENTLY have winds of over 80MPH!!) that has
even remotely strained any component of the guying system.

My guy stations consist of a full bracket that bolts around the tower,
with small metal extensions out for the guy wire to attach. This acts
like a pretty good troque bracket and reduces the high level lateral
twisting that large beams exert on towers.

I also made sure that the guy anchors were at a distance that would not
strain the tower laterally, nor compressively. I simply placed the guy
anchors at a distance of 70% of the tower height away from the base.

I'm no engineer either....but for those of you out there who also worry
about every gust of wind...this may help you sleep better at night. It
did me!

PS- for a cheap cheap way to install guying anchors, for moderate sized
towers, I have a great solution. I am currently using fencepost anchors.
This is primo agricultural area, and can get them anywhere. They are
basically earth screws, of a length of 4 feet long, with a 4 inch screw
disc, sharpened for easy installation. I have all the official pull test
specifications that Alberta agriculture performed using these anchors.
They performed tests on about 4 different types of soil, and
installations of different angles. The results were staggering. I don't
have the sheets right in front of me at the moment, but it was around
5000 pounds force in the worst case soil and pull angle. This was in
SAND!!! In regular solid earth, with a vertical pull, pull capability
was around 9,000 lbs to actually breakin the head of the anchor off!

If anyone is interested, I can supply information of where these anchors
can be acquired, and forward official test specs by Alberta Agriculture.

73 de Shawn
VE6PV