Elevated cable runs

Subject: Elevated cable runs
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri May 3 18:48:15 1996

>Scott, elevated cable runs are an open invitation for lightning and other
>problems.Use em if you have to, but be aware of the dangers!

Tom --

      Over 90% of commercial cellular, paging, broadcast, communications and
microwave installations all have elevated cable runs.  I'm not sure what you
 mean by your statement about the dangers.

      ANY ungrounded cable represents a voltage potential difference to
ground.  Their being elevated doesn't seem to me to make much difference to
potential lightning damage than any other installation method (underground,
etc.).  What about the "cone of protection" offered by the tower itself?
 That alone should prevent a direct lightning strike to the cables.  If
lightning hits the tower, everything that is at a different voltage potential
can arc including cable to cable, tower to cable, etc.

    I'm going to cc. the reflector as I don't know who put on the original
post.

73,   Steve    K7LXC

            TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies and services for
amateurs