ICOM 706 driving amp?

Subject: ICOM 706 driving amp?
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Mon May 20 13:27:23 1996

>The support manager at ETO is fully aware of the problem and will give you
>one succint piece of advice:  do NOT use a 706 with an Alpha.  You run the
>risk of blowing out the PIN diodes.
>
>AA6KX

Spike:
The cure for any radio is to inject a constant voltage ALC into the radio
that ALMOST limits the power to the exact value required. Then the radio does
not have to pull the ALC up from zero.

Keying:
Use a transitor buffer.

ICOM:
They have little interest in fixing anything. The 706 has a design error in
the QSK timing and in the weight control for CW, and they TOLD me at Dayton
they just aren't going to fix any of it, CW isn't that important.

I designed a "box" that interfaces all radios to all amps. It has ALC and
switching buffers in it, as well as a SWR sense circuit for the load and
over-drive disabling circuitry. I submitted the proto to a company that
builds cheap widgets. Hopefully they will get off their butts and build it
soon, so everyone will be happier with the new radios.

73 Tom