Our Clique - SK?

Subject: Our Clique - SK?
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Tue May 21 21:50:30 1996
On the way out of Dayton on Sunday we ran into K1DG in the outrageously
priced pizza place in the airport. We talked a little about what it is like
for a non-contester to schmooze with the "regulars".

Part of contesting is sharing tales with fellow contesters and a lot of times
the non-contest-circle guys have a hard time fitting in. This is probably a
real tough thing to do for someone who is new...it must be like being a
teenager going to a mixer and having to introduce yourself to a potential
partner. I am not saying that this is kinky what I am saying is that if you
are a contest regular you are accepted by virtue of your known callsign. I
know I worked the halls and suites as best I could with this miserable cold
and what I did was spy the badges, and when I saw a familiar call said hi, or
thanks for the contacts, or whatever. If you were just checking into this
contest thing, I can't imagine the nonperson status of being an unknown.
Would you say hi?

The contest fraternity is aging, as evidenced by the earlier QRT of many of
its mainstays come this past weekend's Friday and Saturday nights...I don't
even know if the "lobby suite" even formed this year!  Many of us are
"getting up there" .... was there any wee hours pizza this year? I don't
think so.

The same group of us continues on and it seems the young blood is the
"Sultans" crowd, which isn't that young - albeit crude enough at times!

Without new blood we are up the creek, I know we have all heard this before -
but this year I really sensed it.

K1DG talked about offering a portion of the contest program next year to
"new-guy" topics. This sounds interesting, but the new guys have to be at the
point a year from now where they are opening the program and saying "yeah,
that program interests ME"....will we be creating newbies this year?

I refuse to believe that only our generations can have fun contesting.  I
always have so much fun with our group of hams at Dayton that I come away
every time saying what a great bunch of guys contesters are. Others feel the
same I am certain. SO, what have we forgotten, what are we doing differently
that is scaring new guys away? Contesting's lure is timeless....isn't it?

Heah, after seeing the pair of W0GD and W2UA this weekend, you know this is
great stuff!

Jim zx        k1zx@contesting.com