CW Issue/new rig sales/$$$$

Subject: CW Issue/new rig sales/$$$$
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat May 25 11:22:04 1996

>  Sure, we demand a lot, but
>maybe not everyone needs all the bells and whistles.  Do you use everything
>on a radio?  We use to contest with a lot less radio.  Maybe there is a
>market for a "simplistic" radio that is less than $1000 bucks....or even
>under $750.  How about kits?  Could be done pretty easy.

Hi, Lee --

    Thanks for your comments.  I agree with your 'bells and whixtles'
statement.  I would gladly trade in most of the b&w for more real-live
selectivity.  It's like a software program, I wind up using 10-20% of it and
the rest is just taking up harddrive space.

    IMO the market isn't interested in 'simplistic' radios or there would be
a number of them available.  Dentron (?) came out with a radio like that
several years ago.  Was it a coincidence that they sank into the sunset no
long after?  Heathkit went out of business because of changes in their market
so I think that kits are pretty much out of the question.  Some reasons: 1)
you can't save money by building a kit anymore (that's the main reason why we
used to build them in the old days), 2) the component density of modern xcvrs
puts building them beyond the capability of your kitchen table assembler, 3)
the market grew older (sound familiar?), and 4) this is the '90's - people
have the money but not the time to work on them; have you noticed that it's a
'plug-and-play' world now?

73,  Steve   K7LXC