LEOs on 144 and 432MHz

Subject: LEOs on 144 and 432MHz
From: wa3wjd@wirelessinc.com (Brian McGinness)
Date: Mon Jun 3 17:22:56 1996
** Reply to note from beaton@wintermute.co.uk 06/03/96  2:42pm +0100

> Picture the scene:
> Amateur radio loses 2m and 70cm. All over the world, tens of thousands of
> EME and VHF contests enthusiasts are told their thousands of dollars worth
> of transceivers, Yagi arrays, 3CX1500s, etc are now worthless, because

Hah! I bet the EME guys would burn those little LEOs right out of the sky!

73, Brian

*****************************
* Brian McGinness WA3WJD    *
* Potomac Valley Radio Club *
* wa3wjd@wirelessinc.com    *
*****************************

From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR) (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Subject: CW

>Is it just dawning on me, or have we all been missing the point on the CW
>thing? If the CW requirement is dropped, then there will be no reason
>to protect the CW mode with band plans.

Huh? What protection? You completely lost me with this leap of logic.

CW has no such "protection." If you look at the US band plans, you'll find
that digital modes are confined to the lower end of the band and phone and
video modes the upper end of the band. CW is allowed throughout.

If anything, the bandplans is designed to keep the wider bandwidth digital
and analog modulations out of each other's hair. CW is narrow enough to fit
anywhere, and is permitted everywhere.

I'd also like to point out that there are countries that have no such
segregated bandplan and their RF spectrum has not degenerated into chaos.
We even have such a plan for our own 160m band.

>I also figured that while after that dreaded date, there would never be another
>new ham that could copy code, ...

Huh? I thought CW was supposed to be fun. That's what all the CW gurus tell
me -- about how much fun they have with CW. Why wouldn't someone want to do
something fun with radio, even if it took a bit of work to pick up the
skill?

>...they would leave us dinosaurs alone,
>and CW would at least live until the last one of us died at the key.
>But now I think not so; it looks to me like they'll run us off the bands
>in less than six months after they kill the requirement.

Pure, wild, speculation. I don't see one shred of evidence that any of this
would happen, regardless of the international agreement.

I remember other types of wild speculation surrounding the Codeless
Technician class. Contrary to those predictions, the hobby hasn't
disappeared. Indeed, it is much the same as it was.

>Anybody want to write an internet program that sends CW over the net?

Sorta defeats the whole purpose.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, AA96LR      Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901