GUY POSTS

Subject: GUY POSTS
From: WR34SHE@shellus.com (WR34SHE@shellus.com)
Date: Thu Jun 6 16:57:23 1996
FROM: SAM EFFINGER  K9SD@shellus.com
SUBJECT: GUY POSTS
During the last discussion of guying posts I was hoping someone would
mention using telephone or power poles to elevate the guy wires.

I have used them for years and plan to again

I usually get what they call "black jacks" which is the top of a power
pole that has been damaged at the bottom but the top is ok.

If the pole is 15 foot long I bury it 6 feet.  Usually there are holes
already through it to put a long eye bolt through ..I have a good buddy whom
works for the power company and spare bolts are no problem for me.

I am thinking about using some of their surplus guy wire.  My
thinking is if it will hold a power pole it should hold some Rohn
tower.  If I am overlooking something please let me know.

Free standing towers would be the way to go but I can't find any in the
greater ST. Louis, Mo. area.

Thanks for reading this and I have received some excellent advice from my past
questions.

Digging a 6 foot post hole takes some special tools...guess where I
get them from?   Sometimes they are attached to back of a large yellow truck
with guys whom get out and say..."where do you want this Pole"

Thanks again....73/K9SD (SOUTH DAKOTA in IL.)

                  K9SD