Field Day

Subject: Field Day
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Fri Jun 7 23:03:03 1996

>OK, new subject, let's get back to operating and station building!
>
>Field Day and contesters.

[snip]
>Some of my earliest ham radio experiences (besides operating on 2M FM as a
>Novice and still deciding to get into contesting) involved Field Day.  A
>bunch of older guys let me operate at a really nice radio all night long - it
>was great!  They were happy to see me learn to run stations, I was happy
>because of the opportunity.
>
>As one YCCC member said, newcomers don't get as intimidated by operating at
>Field Day (a pseudo-contest) as they do at a M/M or M/S contest effort.
>
>Are any other contest clubs doing something similar?  Wonder what your
>experiences have been.
>
>73 Tom

Ah, yes! Field Day is a great intro to contesting! I fondly remember many
Field Days ... stumbling around in the back 40 of W9UCW's farm, trying to
find the generator which ran out of gas ... and ending up in the pond...
getting to keep dupe sheets or logs for the REAL ops... (remember those
paper logs?) ... this when I was a Novice...

I think that was what got me started in contesting. Even though it's not
supposed to be a "contest" it sure can start a flame and then it doesn't
take much to fan it. A lot of non-hams and new hams stop by to see what
it's all about. Let's show them what fun it can be!

Zack W9SZ