Contesters & FD (was: Re: fraud (and switch to new topic))

Subject: Contesters & FD (was: Re: fraud (and switch to new topic))
From: albraun@socketis.net (albraun@socketis.net)
Date: Sat Jun 8 03:22:42 1996
>Within YCCC I've been promoting the idea that each member of
>the club ought to particpate in a local club's FD effort.  Many
>have been doing it for years, and most of them are in a leadership
>role within the local club.  Seems like an ideal place to show
>newcomers how to operate better, and the joys of CW and other
>modes besides FM.

I agree with this absolutely.  I've personally passed up several
opportunities to operate in "go for broke" settings with a hand-
ful of other experienced hams, in favor of doing FD with the
local general interest club, & I've never been sorry I did.  While
only a handful of the folks in the club ever go on to become
contesters, a few do: last year FD was the 1st contest experience
for 2 locals who've both since been active in contesting & DXing
and I think are now motivated enough to start moving up the
ladder.  FD was how I got started in contesting, in fact.  In
spite of always doing FD as a fun/instructional activity, we have
yet to finish below the top 10% in our entry category (2A).

So please everyone, at least consider doing FD with your local
club.  Look on it as a "missionary" activity to go out & recruit
new blood.

73 - Alan NS0B
1996 FD chairman for Mid-MO ARC, Jeff City
(Look for us as N0SS/WB0TPN in 2A!)

* Alan Braun MD, NS0B/V31EV *Internet: albraun@socketis.net       *
* Jefferson City, MO        *Packet: NS0B@N0LBA.#cemo.mo.usa.noam *