June VHF de N7STU, DM07aa

Subject: June VHF de N7STU, DM07aa
From: n7stu@valleynet.com (n7stu@valleynet.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 14:11:14 1996
                              ARRL VHF QSO PARTY  1996

      Call: N7STU                    Grid: DM07aa
                                     Category: Single Operator

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS      GRIDS

       50      188      188         102
      144       47       47          20
      432       24       48          13
      903        0        0           0
      1.2       11       33           5

     -----------------------------------

     Totals    270      316         140  =   44,240

Equipment:
  6m: TS120s + TenTec 1208 -> 1x8873 amp (250w) -> 7el KLM @25'
  2m: TS120s + MM144/28 -> 160w + ARR preamp -> 10el CC @28'
 .7m: TS120s + MM432/28 -> 100w + ARR preamp -> 16el CC @25'
.23m: MM144/28 + MM1296/144 (mast mounted) -> 55el LY @30'

Thrills:
Working 6m VUCC in 24 hours!  Working VP5H and C6AFR on 6 for new countries.
Working 11 stations and 5 grids on 1296 with my basic system and working
N6PYI (DM05??, Bakersfield) from our valley floor locations.  Missed several
1296 contacts due to 16db loss in RX thanks to error in transverter manual.
The manual said the attenuator MUST be in the IF line at all times.  Didn't
find  this out until mid-Sunday after not being able to hear several
stations that could hear me S7+.  Removed attenuator on RX and wala, I can
hear!!!  I'm hooked on 1296 now!  This is a great band.  Now I need a preamp
and some power.

Disappointments:
Spending 1.5 hours of prime opening listening for VP5H underneath splatter
from 50.125. Actually I was multi-op with Mr. Murphy, various equipment
problems and starting the test 4 hours late.  Having to work this weekend
(at least I could work at home).  Working WA6TBO and NC7K only on 2m, but
hearing them on other bands.  Not hearing NW7O at all.  Being just one grid
too far east for the 2m Es opening.

General:
People spread out very well on 2m the first day (heard stations from
.135-.250) but still a huge layer of signals on .200.  Locals did not spread
out very well on 6 though until after the band opened.  Lots of activity,
could have worked many more stations on 2 and .7m if I wanted to run.
Mostly I was S/P and DXing until 6 finally opened Sunday afternoon.

CU in July!

73, Robert N7STU/YB2ARO, DM07aa/OI52ee

n7stu@valleynet.com
http://www.valleynet.com/~n7stu (Norcal WSWSS activities & N7STU/YB2ARO