WRTC strategy and winners

Subject: WRTC strategy and winners
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 15:12:43 1996

>I also noticed a concentrated effort during the last WRTC to spot the "local
>boys" on the PacketCuster. It would be nice if we avoid this practice this
>time around to make the competition as fair as possibile for all
>participants.

          It was obvious by looking at the logs from the Seattle WRTC that
the packet spotting was taking place.  Change bands, a big group of calls.
 Change modes, the same big group of calls.  While we tried to minimize this
by random drawing of calls but had no rule against identifying yourself or
self-promotion, the voices were recognized and the "spotted" stations
benefitted tremendously.  IMO the consensus of the judges/referees for WRTC96
was to encourage spotting EVERYBODY thus supporting the event and the
competitors.  This seems to be the most practical thing to do.  Don't forget
that the judges will be looking for this and can - and will - penalize a team
for this type of favoritism.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

    Co-chair  WRTC  90