My Omni VI and My '486 Aren't Speaking

Subject: My Omni VI and My '486 Aren't Speaking
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Sat Jun 15 19:26:38 1996
This msg x-posted contest refl & na-user refl

HALP!

Appliance operator seeks your savy CONTESTOR expertise in resolving the
following:

I am stepping into the 90's and asking my digital xcvr to talk and share
frequency info with my computer.

Hdwe/Sftwe: Omni VI/'486/NA v10.0 Software

Step 1) Purchased NA10.0 and W1GEE interface cable from K3LR at LTA Booth
last month.

Step 2) Ran W1GEE program that came with the interface cable.

Step 3) W1GEE program says that the port I thought was Comm 2 is Comm 1. By
shorting the far end of the interface plug and running W1GEE's program
telling it I was hooked up to Comm 2 nothing happened, on a whim I tell the
program its comm 1 and voila it acknowledges me. So, I guess that socket is
Comm 1. Already I am toasted.

Step 4) I assume that it is actually Comm 1 on the '486 that will be
interfacing with the Omni VI, and I tell "Config" I have an ICOM 735 (even
tho its an Omni VI - that's what the manual sez to tell it) and I tell it
that it is Comm 1 @ 9600 baud. I tell "Equipment" that I have a radio "1",
and I turn the Omni VI "CDE" to ON and tell it to run @ 9600 baud....here's
what happens:

Nothin (positive anyways)

The Omni VFO locks - it won't budge, the NA software won't change bands. The
software will call CQ and log callsigns, but when you Alt/F1 or Alt/F2 it
don't go up or down a band.

Obviously the two are NOT in agreement as to what's going on.

If I shut off the "Equipment" Radio 1 on NA the software will manually change
bands again, but the Omni VI is still locked up (I think its pissed off there
is another microprocessor in my life). If I do a Master Reset of the Omni VI
and turn the "CDE" to "off" it is manually tunable again.

I have tried re-booting the computer, changing just about any of the software
switches, but I get the feeling there is something I am forgetting to do.

I tried telling the software it was actually Comm 2 (like I really thought in
the first place) and the behaviour is the same with the vfo locking on the
rig and the software not wanting to change bands.

Using Alt-F to show what frequency things are on displays 14.000 so it
definately appears no info is being exchanged between the two boxes.

I am truly an appliance operator and when you get two digital beasts
confronting me the only thing I know to do is:

Scream For Help On The Reflectors!

Sound like a familiar problem? I knew I should have gone to W3LPL's party.

Pse es tnx

Jim zx      k1zx@contesting.com