FD beverages (drinks)

Subject: FD beverages (drinks)
From: N3ADL@aol.com (N3ADL@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jun 25 19:56:32 1996
This could be REALLY serious...as I found out last year....

I am a Commercial Driving Instructor for the Government   ....I teach an 8
hour class each week and have students on a closed course teaching them the
finer arts of driving..( Rule 1..Any idiot can drive forward...Its backing
that seperates the men from the boys!)
Last year I had a student for a tractor / trailer combination and this was
mid July..
Hotter than blazes and I had brought a can of Iced Tea out to the driving
range to sip as the day progressed....After several hours I was ready to take
the student out for a road test and went to take a sip from the tea before I
left. Knowing that bees love anything sweet I looked into the can....blew
into it...then looked again into the can...bringing the can to my lips I took
a nice swig and immediatly got stung twice...once on the tongue and once on
the gum...I made the sucker pay with his life as I bit him in half but little
did I know that he would ALMOST get even.... After about 3 minutes my tongue
began to swell and I was having trouble breathing...I told the boss to get me
to the hospital QUICK...In route I was in and out of it and knew I was in BIG
trouble...I was going into shock as the 4 nurses grabbed my 225 pound frame
and in one quick motion plopped me on a guerny... The lead nurse got my vital
signs while my boss informed the other of my plight. They immediately
injected a good dose of Epinephrine into one shoulder and a vast amount of
Diphenhydramine in the other.... Man what a snooze!! Knocked me right out for
more than two hours...When I awoke the lead nurse checked me over again and
told me I was lucky.....5 more minutes and I would have been a gonner......

The scary part is that I didn't KNOW I was allergic... I had never been stung
before....

I now carry or have nearby a EpiPen Epinephrin auto injector and a supply of
Diphenhydramine ALL THE TIME...Just in case.... I also had my physician order
one for my work medicine cabinet....  This might have been a tragedy at field
day.... and one would hope that Field Day organizers would think about
medical emergencies during the planning stage of a clubs effort.....

                                                       73 de Doug // N3ADL //
FRC