FD & the generation gap

Subject: FD & the generation gap
From: foggie@dtx.net (foggie)
Date: Sat Jun 22 05:15:28 1996
Richard;

I wasn't "recruited" per-se. I volunteered to run cw for the club. A definite no
contesting club. Speaking of which if there is a contesting club within driving
distance (maybe 120 miles away tops) of my qth of fort polk, la I'd love to know
about it as I would join. :) but back to the issue at hand. I ran into much the
same
situation. our club runs an uninspiring 3d effort every year. using not only
commercial towers, but one of the members 115' tall towers with a tribander on i
t.
(as if 15 or 10 panned out for me.) I managed to run off the portable 30 foot to
wer
and a tribander for the first hour before being booted off to let the ssb'ers
make qsos. Nothing against ssb. Though I doubt I'll enter too many ssb contests;
 but
in field day cw IS the point maker. most of these guys are semi OT'ers. most got
 into
the hobby about when I first did ('78) and I'd say 99% will admit the last cw qs
they had was years ago. One admited that it had been at least 10 years. There wa
quite some amazement that you can run a 90 - 100 Qso rate on cw. (I ran 93 in th
first hour of ops.) Besides that there was not much interest. As I've said these
 are
semi ot'ers.

Once I was booted off I was given the trap dipole that the other station had mad
e 5
(yes five) ssb qso's of off in the first hour. My rate plummeted I made only 3 q
so's
in the next 2 hours before getting the beam back again. (The ssb rig sat silent
for
30 minutes while I was off feeling sorry for myself.) Of the non hams present th
ere
were no younger generation. They were all my age. (33) Of the no-code techs. One
 is
actually studying the code. I might have convinced one non ham to study code, an
some of the no coders may be slightly influenced towards contesting in general s
imply
because of my enthusiasm. The non ham said that the code was too fast to even
hear the dits and dahs. I usually start a contest at around 33 and move up as i
get
in tune. (I improved my code speed by 13 WPM during WPX from 20 to 33 solid cpy)
I have found that 40 wpm contesting is usually fairly easy as the exchange is so
short compared to a ragchew. But I showed him how slow 5 wpm was. and then I sor
of saw a light turn on. This was the only non ham interested in code. Another ha
was interested but has sever limitations in the use of his arms and hands. He wa
truly fascinated when I brought out the computer, set up tr log, and ran qso aft
er
qso without a pen, or someone to log for me.

The long and short here is that most of the OT'ers around here have moved away f
rom
cw with no intention of returning. and the no code techs have little to no desir
to learn. The one studying the code could pass the 5 wpm test, but I have to adm
it
that after listening on the novice freqs there is little activity there these da
ys.
in the "good old days" one could improve faster because they could make contacts
on novice subbands, and improve.

I don't know what the answer is, but I tried to persuade two people.

I doubt that but one will ever become a cw type.

73
Al - kk5zx

E-Mail: foggie@dtx.net            | Snail-Mail: Allen Fogleson
                                  |             Fort Polk, La 71459
This message was sent by XF-Mail free of charge, and is 100% microsoft free!
For more information on remaining microsoft free try http://www.redhat.com/