FCC Exposure rule

Subject: FCC Exposure rule
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Tue Aug 6 23:55:26 1996

>2. Remember a little while back when the FCC seemed to say that its
>personnel were no longer going to do the field work? ie: no more FCC
>involvement in RFI/TVI dispute resolution and that sort of thing.
>
>Well, it would seem to me that this field strength measurement is guaranteed
>work for whoever the FCC had in mind to assume the duties they've abdicated.
>
>Maybe we'll have to get permission to transmit from Radio Shack. Or the
>local cop.

[snip]

>73, Dave K2LME                           FN31ui                 k2lme@pcnet.com
>Dave Collins    45 Bill Hill Road    Lyme CT 06371 USA    860.434.8176

This whole thing has been rolling around in my mind for a couple days. I
get the idea the FCC is going to find out it opened a big can of worms!

How is all this to be enforced? Will we be required to have a measurement
taken by some licensed establishment? How often? And what will it mean?
If someone passes the test with his barefoot rig today, what's going to
keep him from dragging the amp out of the kitchen cabinet where he hid it
and hooking it up again? How will the FCC know? "Drive-by testing"?

And where is all the funding going to come from to handle all the
paperwork this could create for the FCC, which is understaffed right now
anyway?

Perhaps the law was passed to appease some group, but will be largely
unenforced?

Questions, questions ...

Zack W9SZ

--
"You can't be optimistic with a misty optic" - Rex Luscus