Lawyerphobia

Subject: Lawyerphobia
From: WOVERBECK@ccvax.fullerton.edu (WOVERBECK@ccvax.fullerton.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 7 23:33:04 1996
Today I've seen more than 200 pieces if e-mail concerning the
FCC's new RF safety rules.  I'll add just two more thoughts:
1)  the ARRL Web site now has several items listing some of
the medical research that led the FCC to adopt RF safety
standards; and 2) let's not succumb to lawyerphobia.

Nowhere do the new rules create a private cause of action
(i.e., a right to sue) for exceeding the RF safety standards.
In fact, only two months ago the ninth circuit U.S. Court of
Appeals ruled that the FCC has exclusive jurisdiction to
enforce its own rules.  The ninth circuit held that the courts
may not entertain lawsuits alleging violations of FCC rules.
(see Wilson v. A.H. Belo Corp., 1996 U.S. App. Lexis 15328)
If somebody sues alleging a violation of the new FCC rules,
that lawsuit will be a prime candidate for an early dismis-
sal.

Broadcasters have been subject to the FCC's RF safety rules
since 1985, and they are certainly bigger legal and regula-
tory targets tham hams (they have far more money and taller
towers).  Broadcasters haven't experienced the legal apocalypse
that some are now predicting for hams.

73,

Wayne Overbeck, N6NB
woverbeck@fullerton.edu