balloon verticals

Subject: balloon verticals
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Tue Aug 13 18:36:54 1996

>     Table 1:
>
>Toltex size:    Price:    Burst altitude:    Payload weight:
>(grams)           (US)       (feet)                      (lbs.)
>
>100                  $7.50      40,000                   1.5
>300                  $15         76,000                   4
>800                  $28         99,000                   6
>1200                $45      104,000                   over 6 lbs.

What frequency are we making verticals for? 15 kHz?  :-)

I should think you wouldn't need to be concerned about bursting for a
typical 160 meter vertical!

Maybe we need a VLF Contest.

See you on 175 kHz!

73, Zack W9SZ

From: hwardsil@wolfenet.com (Ward Silver) (Ward Silver)
Subject: RF Exposure & Cellular Phones

On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Stan Griffiths wrote:

> So how come
> there does not seem to be IMMENSE CONCERN over radios that you actually wear
> on your body??  (cell phones and handhelds)  You can't get much closer than
> that and the field intensities have to be very large even at just a few
> watts of power.
>
> This argument may only get us into deeper trouble, but I would suggest that
> it might cause a re-examination of the risks associated with handhelds
> (including cell phones).  If we hams are going to risk getting into trouble
> over this, I damn sure want to drag the cell phone companies right into the
> muck with us.  At least they have the funding to defend themselves and if
> they lose (impossible!), the loss of cell phone conveniences will be
> devastating to the general public (which is why they CAN'T lose).

The answer is, of course, that they have ALREADY wriggled their way out of
being covered by this set of rules.  There is no way that they were not
aware of this set of proposed regulations and applied the necessary
pressure to be exempted.

I wish that they had NOT be exempted, because then the cellular industry
might have been our unwitting champion, as was Marconi to the hams so many
years ago.  With their pressure and clout, we might have had a chance to
avoid the whole set of rules, at least for intermittent transmissions.
Now...sigh...we are all by our lonesome.

73, Ward N0AX