How to figure out your grid square.

Subject: How to figure out your grid square.
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Fri Aug 23 00:25:16 1996
Rick Craig, N6ND wrote:

> NI6T wrote....
>
> >OTOH, the hand calculation from WB5VZL, posted a few days ago and
> >included in the N.E.W.S. page, certainly works, but it behooves one to
> >know his lat/long coordinates accurately. For example, my QTH is at
> >37.15N/121.98W--that is in CM97 but only about .57 mi from the meridian
> >border with CM87. I determined my QTH with a USGS 15 minute
> >quadrant--not everyone has one handy.
>
> Another way to determine your Lat/Long is with Microsoft's AutoMap program.
> For $40 you get two CD-ROMs that have street maps of every city, town, burg,
> and
> wide spot in the road in the US.  You type in your address and it pops up a
> local map showing where it thinks you are.  It is remarkably accurate in
> finding really obscure places.  It will also give you the coordinates suitable
> for six digit grid square.
>
> I looked up NI6T's address on the map and it says 20941 Nez Perce Trail is at
> 37.1626N, 121.9774W, but it wants to call Garry's city Lexington Hills instead
> of Los Gatos.  Regardless, it does give accurate numbers.  It will also let
> you
> print out a map in whatever scale you desire so that you can find the next
> antenna raising party without getting lost.  More toys....
>
> 73 Rick, N6ND
>
> Rick Craig, N6ND
> n6nd@n6nd.wanet.com
> Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
> from magic. -Clarke's Third Law

Rick:

That is =remarkably= accurate--although four decimal places is a
stretch. I was hard-put to discern more than two places on a 15-minute
projection. Lessee, if 1 degree of lattitude is 60 statute miles, .0001
degree is 31.7 feet. Better not move the shack to another room! :>). Of
course, rural locations on larger parcels cannot be resolved to 0.1 deg
on such a map, much less .01 or better.

(BTW, "Lexington Hills" is an unofficial appellation for the area
surrounding a local reservoir, whose creation drowned a town called
Lexington about 65 years ago. The software's curious decision may be due
to my being outside the incorporated boundary of Los Gatos.)

I guess the solution has already been announced--if you don't copy the
gridsquare, you get only 1 pt. for the QSO. And, generally speaking, if
someone declares the wrong gridsquare, and it is only offset from the
correct one by one, there is little harm done if he is consistent in
declaring it.

--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, The DXer