ARRL Letter: summary 9/20/96

Subject: ARRL Letter: summary 9/20/96
From: frenaye@pcnet.com (frenaye@pcnet.com)
Date: Fri Sep 20 23:11:19 1996
Summary from The ARRL Letter, Electronic Update, September 20, 1996
(full text available at http://www.arrl.org)
__________________________________

IN THIS UPDATE:

* Electronic Form 610V to be available for Gate 2
* Hams aboard Atlantis!
* ARRL National Convention a success
* Hams help nab "Pizza Dude" and friends
* Solar activity dips
* Alabama ham plates get new look
* Prolific QST author marks 80th birthday
* Ham astronomer honored
* Vern Riportella, WA2LQQ, SK
* In Brief: Help wanted; New Kansas SM;
   Quote of the month; Hams to be honored;
   Thanks!; Info on older Kenwoods
__________________________________

ON-LINE VANITY CALL SIGN FORM TO BE AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER 23

There's good news and bad news about the FCC's plans to provide for
electronic filing of vanity call sign requests. The good news is that an
electronic version of the Amateur Station Vanity Call Sign Request Form 610V
will be available starting at 12:01 AM EDT on September 23, 1996. Applicants
can access the form on the Internet at the Federal Communications Commission
Wireless Telecommunications Bureau home page, http://www.fcc.gov/wtb, under
Amateur Radio-Interactive Vanity Call Sign. Detailed filing instructions are
available by clicking on the item number on the Internet form.

The bad news is that electronic payment is not yet available. The FCC said
that applicants must mail a completed FCC Form 159, FCC Remittance Advice,
with payment to Federal Communications Commission, Box 358994, Pittsburgh,
PA 15259-5994. Note that this is a different Post Office box and ZIP code
than for vanity requests and payments using hard-copy forms.

For technical assistance, call the FCC Technical Support Group at
202-414-1250. For general application assistance, call the Wireless
Telecommunications Bureau, Consumer Assistance staff at 800-322-1117.

SOLAR ACTIVITY DIPS

Solar prognosticator Tad Cook, KT7H, of Seattle, Washington, reports that
solar activity was down from September 5 to September 11, with the sunspot
numbers below the 90-day average of 71 on every day of the period. Solar
flux was down an average of more than 4, and sunspot numbers were down an
average of 11 compared to the week previous. Solar activity was down again
during the period September 12 to September 18. Average solar flux was down
about a point, and average sunspot numbers were down about 3.7. Every day
except September 12 had no visible sunspots. The daily solar flux was below
the 90-day average of 71 on each day over the past week. Solar activity is
expected to increase over this week, with solar flux to peak in the mid 70s
around September 24-16. Geomagnetic conditions are expected to peak around
September 25 with A indices around 25 and K indices as high as 5. After
October 1 solar flux should drop below 70. Geomagnetic conditions should get
unstable again around October 7-13.

The days are growing shorter, and the fall equinox will arrive September 22.
Because of less daylight, 20 meters is becoming more of a daylight band.
Sunspot numbers for September 5 through 11 were 0, 0, 15, 15, 0, 0 and 0,
respectively, with a mean of 4.3. The 10.7-cm flux was 70.3, 69.7, 69.5,
68.2, 67.9, 68, and 67.6, respectively, with a mean of 68.7. Sunspot numbers
for September 12 through 18 were 11, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 and 0, respectively, with
a mean of 1.6. The 10.7-cm flux was 67.8, 67.3, 67.1, 66.4, 68, 69, and
68.9, respectively, with a mean of 67.8.

In Brief:

* Help wanted: The ARRL Washington Office has an opening for an electronics
engineer (BSEE or equivalent experience) with spectrum-management
experience. Duties would include representing the interests of Amateur Radio
to US government agencies, the ITU and regional organizations. Public
speaking ability, professional-quality writing and the ability to deal with
people from other countries are essential. Spanish language skills are a
plus. Send resume and salary expectations to R. Boucher, ARRL, 225 Main St,
Newington, CT 06111; fax 860-594-0298.

* Quote of the month? FCC Chairman Reed Hundt, in London offering his "Seven
Commandments" for telecommunications competition: "How many licenses should
be auctioned? As many as can be found in the airwaves. What if the spectrum
is already lightly used? Allow auction winners to relocate the existing
users at no cost, so that the market can clear spectrum. How should the
spectrum be used? Any way the auction winners want: no restrictions; no
rules; total flexibility."

* Info on older Kenwoods: Kenwood is offering FTP access to many Kenwood
service bulletins and application notes via the Internet. Visit the Kenwood
FTP site from Kenwood's Web page, http://www.kenwood.net/ (click on What's
New at Kenwood) or directly at ftp://ftp.kenwood.net. The FTP site includes
Kenwood equipment bulletins and notes dating back to 1975.

E-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com    Internet: http://www.akorn.net/k1ki
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444