Ferrite beads, torroids used for rfi suppression and Baluns, etc.

Subject: Ferrite beads, torroids used for rfi suppression and Baluns, etc.
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Tue Sep 24 17:14:03 1996
Hi Jay,

>I am hopefully adding to this conversation and don't wish to offend any of

SNIP

>The Reisert balun is one of the best you will ever find for HF.

If the load is in perfect common mode balance and of a controlled impedance,
a voltage type balun is as good as a choke type balun. But the choke type
balun is almost always much better in the real world. Frank Witt AI1H and Roy
Lewallen W7EL  have done excellent real world analysis' on this. I have also
measured and confirmed their work independently here.

The last thing we want to do is force "voltage balance" in the system, unless
we enjoy feedline radiation.

>Working on my 1/2 Four Square.
>
>BTW K5IU has an excellent article comming in Communications Quarterly which
>proves
>that 1/4 wave radials are absolutely the WRONG length for any vertical
>antenna.

Let's think about that a bit. MEASURED data have proven over and over again
that 60 1/4 wl radials comes within a dB of a theoretically perfect ground,
and as length is reduced the NUMBER of radials required to achieve the
maximum FS for a given length, as well as the field strength, decreases. If
the radials are made longer, we can use more radials and FS improves. The
curves are ALWAYS real smooth curves.

Now suddenly 1/4 wl is the "wrong length", it just happened to be overlooked
for fifty years in innumerable real world FS measurements.

73, Tom