elevated radials and stuff like that

Subject: elevated radials and stuff like that
From: K8DO@aol.com (K8DO@aol.com)
Date: Wed Sep 25 13:36:22 1996
I am in the process of converting my 2el 160 array to a 4 square, and adding
an 80m 4 sq... In preparation I re-reviewed the available articles and books
on this...  I found I was unhappy with the critical phasing lines (which are
very difficult to re-tune), power lost to the dummy load, multiple driven
 elements, strange matching sections for strange impedences... My thought
process was "if all-driven arrays are so good, why do we use parasitic arrays
for everything else?  Why are not all rotatable beams W8JK  beams or log
periodics, instead of Yagi-Uda?... So, I turned to my trusty computor and
modelled the all driven 4 square and compared it to a parasitic 4 square
(diamond configuration, of course)... The differences are minimal, with the
all-driven 4 square having the better FB (a really, pretty cardoid at one
frequency ) ... (at least, in my quick-n-dirty modeling... I'm talking
'achievable in the real world', here)

So, I am assembling mine as a diamond, with a single driven element and three
parasitic reflectors... A DPDT relay at each element and individual
feedlines/baluns handle the directional chores and impedence matching...  the
antenna is across the common terminals of the DPDT, the additional inductance
for the reflectors is across the NC contacts and the feedline/balun across
the NO contacts...

elevated radials, of course...

Rational discourse welcomed.... flames go to the curb with the kitty
litter...

Denn   k8do@aol.com

Denny