160 sloper

Subject: 160 sloper
From: kl7ra@icefog.gcgo.nasa.gov (Gilmore Creek Geophysical Observatory)
Date: Fri Sep 27 23:52:10 1996
October issue of CQ has a construction article for a quarter-wave
sloper on 160 meters. I was curious as to what antenna modeling
would predict for resonance if the average contester were to
install one on his tower. The fellow that built this of course was
lucky or smart. The model shows a 160 meter quarter wave sloper
(with a little pruning) attached to a 50 foot tower and a 3 ele
yagi resonates easily inside the band. With the antenna resistance
around 23 ohms and some ground loss a good match to 50 ohm cable
can be made.

If it were installed on a 70 foot tower the sloper length would
drop to 86 feet and the antenna would be 150 ohms at resonance.
Removing or adding yagi's changes things even more. Trying to find
the right length of the sloper wire empirically on different
tower/antenna combinations might not be a good idea on the morning
of the World Wide. I'm not sure when the better idea would be to
shunt feed the tower or switch to the inverted L.

Many years ago I had a 70 foot tower with a tribander. I installed
a quarter wave sloper for 75 meters (about 70 feet long) at the top
and it worked very well often out preforming a delta on a 90 foot
tower about 100 feet away. I noticed it was somewhat directive so
I added another and that was the end of slopers for me.

Rich  KL7RA