Analogous Activities to Packet-Aided Contesting and response to K3EST CQ

Subject: Analogous Activities to Packet-Aided Contesting and response to K3EST CQ contest editorial
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Fri Oct 11 00:35:17 1996
Dick, I gotta disagree.  Specific technology was developed and the rules
were changed to add the "assisted" catagory.  Those who don't want to
use the technology may still enter the unassisted catagories.

Further, K3EST's editorial in the OCT CQ contest column is disheartning
as well as it regards use of the PacketCluster by SOA class stations.

Assisted means just that, assisted.  There is no way that a SOA station
can be considered single-multi. The remote operators providing putouts,
comments via TALK messages/ANN messages, and the like, can never operate
the SOA station (they are not there).  The SOA operator performs all of
the logging, operating, etc.  The SOA class should be entitled to use
the PAcketCluster (tm) to its FULLEST USE.  That includes using the TALK
function to communicate with other stations and ask: "How's 20?", for
example.  Or look at the PacketCluster input screen and gleen info from
the ANN message: "JAs are in on 15.  Heading = 270 DEG"

Why, the SOA may indvertently observe some of these messages!  Would
that disqualify him/her as a SOA?  Does that mean SOA's must use an
external PC to monitor the PAcketCluster and not use CT (because there
is no way to shut off T, ANN messages on the CT screen)?

Or should SYSOPS who operate SOA (hummm, who might that be?)  turn off
their Node PC display  because T to T messages between connected
stations might be seen?  Or ANN messages might be seen?

RIDICULOUS, I SAY!

The SOA class means: USING PackerCluster.  That means full use of it.
Giving and requesting fellow SOAs (and multis, for that matter) scores,
strategies, etc, during the contest.

As long as the SOA does all the logging and operating, use of the
PacketCluster for any purpose is allowed.  Single multis have additional
advantages:

1.  Operator changes/relief/break times keeping the station on the air.
2.  Spotters who can spot locally on an adjacent (within shouting
distance) rig on premises.
3.  Other operators who can spot stations on the other rig(s) and
immediately work the multiplier on the multiplier station.

The SOA must build/configure his/her station to maximize use of those
elements which are within the rules, including PacketCluster.

Let's open up the SOA operations to use the PacketCluster to its maximum
capability and not think of SOA as another catagory to be restricted.
Heck, that's why SOA was invented!

73!

Bill, N3RR