extra receive antenna

Subject: extra receive antenna
From: n0dh@comtch.iea.com (Nawvemburr Zeeero Dawg House)
Date: Thu Oct 17 11:18:19 1996
k4sb@avana.net wrote:

> Brent, I don't have an 850, but this is the mod I used on my 940. I
> assume the antenna TX/RX wiring is probably identical.
>
> 1. Install 2 audio plugs in the back panel. You may have one ( as the
> 940 did ) which is not in use.

Brent

If you dont use the outboard DSP unit on your 850 then use one of the
RCA phono plugs in the upper right hand corner (looking from the
back)which are for the DSP unit. When it comes time to sell the unit you
can easily "restore" it to "original". In my case I just made an
external relay box which allows me to switch the receive antenna in and
out with an external relay, this also allows for ease of switching back
and forth between listening on the Beverage or Transmit antenna, but
gives the fail safe of never transmitting into the beverage. The linear
PTT line runs off a second set of contacts in the box so that the the
linear can not key up until the receive antenna has switched of line.

By the way I used the DSP jacks instead as an extra set of CW key jacks.
They are set up so that you can use the internal keyer or an extrenal
(computer) keying simultaneously (without having to grope for that
little switch in the back). A description of this MOD should still be on
KA9FOX's WEB page soewhere.

Dave
N0DH