FW: AURORA WARNING: Middle Latitude Auroral Activity Warning

Subject: FW: AURORA WARNING: Middle Latitude Auroral Activity Warning
From: frenaye@pcnet.com (frenaye@pcnet.com)
Date: Wed Oct 23 05:19:48 1996
Similar message, this one with aurora information.  73 Tom

--- On Tue, 22 Oct 1996 22:22:24 -0600 (MDT)  Cary Oler
<oler@holly.cc.uleth.ca> wrote:
                /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

                   MIDDLE LATITUDE AURORAL ACTIVITY WARNING

                    WARNING ISSUED: 04:00 UTC, 23 OCTOBER

                /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

VALID BEGINNING AT: EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
       VALID UNTIL: 19:00 UTC ON 24 OCTOBER

    HIGH RISK PERIOD: 23 OCT - 24 OCT (UTC days)
MODERATE RISK PERIOD: 23 OCT - 25 OCT

PREDICTED ACTIVITY INDICES: 37, 23, 20, 15 (23 OCTOBER - 26 OCTOBER)
(INPUT INTO THE PREDICTIVE AURORA SOFTWARE *)

POTENTIAL MAGNITUDE OF MIDDLE LATITUDE AURORAL ACTIVITY:  MODERATE

POTENTIAL DURATION OF THIS ACTIVITY: MAIN BELT=12-24HRS, MINOR BELT=2-3 DAYS

ESTIMATED OPTIMUM OBSERVING CONDITIONS: NEAR LOCAL MIDNIGHT

EXPECTED LUNAR INTERFERENCE: MODERATE

OVERALL OPPORTUNITY FOR OBSERVATIONS FROM MIDDLE LATITUDES:  FAIR - GOOD

AURORAL ACTIVITY MAY BE OBSERVED APPROXIMATELY NORTH OF A LINE FROM...

        NORTHERN OREGON TO IDAHO TO NORTHEASTERN WYOMING TO SOUTH DAKOTA TO
        NORTHERN IOWA TO NORTHERN ILLINOIS TO NORTHERN INDIANA TO OHIO TO
        PENNSYLVANIA TO NEW JERSEY.

ACTIVITY MAY ALSO BE OBSERVED APPROXIMATELY NORTH OF A LINE FROM...

        NORTHERN FRANCE TO BELGIUM TO GERMANY TO POLAND TO NORTHERN RUSSIA
        INCLUDING ALL OF ENGLAND/IRELAND DENMARK, NORWAY, SWEDEN, FINLAND AND
        NEIGHBORING REGIONS.  SOUTHERN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND SHOULD ALSO
        SPOT PERIODS OF ACTIVITY.

* Contact: Oler@Solar.Uleth.CA or COler@Solar.Stanford.Edu for more
           information regarding the Auroral Activity Prediction and
           Simulation Software.

SYNOPSIS...

     Auroral activity has intensified considerably over the last 6 hours,
much more than was expected.  The source of this activity is a recurrent
disturbance attributed to a solar coronal hole.  The phase of the moon will
play a limiting factor for observers.  Dark sky sites will enhance views, but
some of the activity will almost certainly be drowned out by the light of the
moon until it reaches the lower horizon in the morning hours.  If activity
continues at current intensities, activity should become visible over fairly
wide areas of the middle latitudes.  Activity is already being reported from
numerous upper-middle latitude stations.  It appears the auroral zones are
expanding equatorward, which should enhance the visibility of activity from
central middle latitude regions.  Activity is not expected to be maintained
at this level of intensity for more than about 12 hours, if that.  However,
sporadic bursts of minor auroral storming are expected over the next couple
of days. The next 12 hours will probably provide the best views of activity
for those who are favorably situated.

     This WARNING will remain active until 19:00 UT on 24 October afterwhich
it will be downgraded to a watch or allowed to expire altogether.

**  End of Warning  **

-----------------End of Original Message-----------------

E-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com    Internet: http://www.akorn.net/k1ki
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444