dupe/no dupe - Part II

Subject: dupe/no dupe - Part II
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Tue Oct 29 14:14:28 1996
Tom Francis wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Opinions on the work dupes or not question
> agreed with my opinion, so I'm comfortable
> with my choice of working 'em all regardless....
>
> How about this as an ethics question in
> the light of contest dupes/no dupes....
>
> Say it's late in the contest, you notice
> TA2KK (just an example - not real) comes
> across the cluster and for some reason it's
> a mult for the band your working. You zip
> to his frequency, call him and he tells you
> your a dupe and gives chapter and verse (i.e.;
> time/date of the Q)! You accept the answer,
> but check back in the log and no T anything
> in the log for the time he mentioned. You
> zip back, call him again, but he ain't buying
> a duplicate Q - no way, no how...
>
> Here's the question:
>
> Do you make a note of the Q and "massage" the
> log after, just forget it, or log the contact
> as a current contact (after all, he did hear
> you, hi) and hope for the best?
>
> Flames to me - opinions to the reflector, hi..
>
> 73 and thanks for your input..
>
> Tom, NM1Q (tomf@neca.com)

Tom:

We have all been there.

Given the amount of time wasted informing/arguing/agonizing about dupes,
the whole idea of penalizing for them should be DROPPED. This one act
would eliminate the problems--time-wasting arguments during the contest
become history, as do agonizing over lost mults, the QSL B4 key, CT's
problem with portable stations, inconsistencies between logs due to one
op purging his log of dupes after the contest, ad nauseam.

I decided after CQP last year to just log the DUPES. I still forget late
in a contest sometimes, and tell a guy he is a dupe, but I am trying not
to.
--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, The DXer