first arrl and cqww c

Subject: first arrl and cqww c
From: bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com (bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com)
Date: Fri Nov 1 11:50:32 1996
 K3> International

 >>> aren't they cute when they're that young?
 >>
 >>Yeah, didn't you all still use spark gap back then?
 >>
 >>:-)
 >>
 >>-- Ray, WQ5L, age 28, CK 81
 >>

 >I was mentioneing about categories! Perhaps my english is not good enough.
 K3> No reason to make fun. Would you like to establish a conversation in
 K3> Portuguese?
 >It would be better (for me at least!).
 >
 >Hey! I still don't know when the first CQWW happened. I think you don't
 K3> either(HI!)

 >73,
 >
 >Carlos - PY1CAS

 K3> WELL anything under 30 sounds REAL young to me.
 K3> I consulted the EXCELLENT 1996 CQ Amateur Radio Almanac, edited
 K3> by K1DG and WZ1R.  They have done a great job for the most part.

 K3> CQWW first run in 1939 probably with phone and CW the same weekend
 K3> 1940 event cancelled
 K3> the contest as we know it began both modes separate weekends
 K3> in 1948.

 K3> I suspect this is accurate information, although there are a few
 K3> errors in Gavels won by FRC in ARRL SS and ARRL DX contests, which I
 K3> suspect  will be fixed in the 1997 issue.

 K3> 73 Chas K3WW

Another bit of interesting SS nostalgia is that it originally ran for a
whole WEEK(or was it two?) and the exchange consisted of actual traffic
(messages). Back in the late 50's and early 60's I seem to remember that
there were TWO weekends for EACH mode.

73 Bill N6CQ

From: jefft@atlanta.com (Jeff Tucker) (Jeff Tucker)
Subject: True North in one sentence

I'm not sure I agree with this disagreement, or the next statement made.
First, reread what the original poster said.  He didn't say anything about the
published time for sunrise, or 12:00 on your clock or anything else.  He said
the time between local sunrise and local sunset.  If you think about the earth
rotating within the circle of light the sun throws onto it, your tower will
rotate
into that circle at some time and rotate out of it at some time.  Halfway
in between, your tower will be in a line from the sun through your tower, to
the point of rotation, i.e. the true North Pole.  Thus, your shadow should
point north.

This is only all the time for people who live north of the Tropic
of Cancer.  For people who live South of the Tropic of Capricorn, the shadow
always points south.  For people in between (don't I wish), it varies, either
straight south or straight north.

As for the statement about Mercator projections, I don't think this has anything
to do with Mercator projections.  Beam headings should always be calculated
on a great-circle map, which definitely isn't Mercator.  And, the software we
use does it this way internally, too.  So, if you use a great-circle map
centered
on your location, and have your true north sited properly, your beam headings
will always be right on.  The magnetic north pole should not be involved at all,
so you don't need to worry about declination.

73
Jeff N9HZQ