[Fwd: Re: Skyward Yagis]

Subject: [Fwd: Re: Skyward Yagis]
From: n0dh@comtch.iea.com (Nawvemburr Zeeero Dawg House)
Date: Fri Nov 1 12:16:36 1996
From:
        "Dave Henderson, (Nawvemburr Zeeero Dawg House)" <n0dh@comtch.iea.com>
To: Fred Kleber K9VV <k9vv@indy.net>
Subject: Re: Skyward Yagis

Fred Kleber K9VV wrote:

> Antenna modeling guru K6STI had a few lines in QST a while ago regarding
> yagis pointed at the sky.  Believe his modelilng in this configuration
> predicted that it should be a fairly good approximation of the real
> world.
>
> Fubar, K9VV

One possible reason for peoples varied experience with using the skyward
pointing approach has to do with the beam design itself. I suspect A
beam with a very good Front to Back would probably react more favorably
when tuned skyward than a beam witha poor front to back. If one buys
this logic then understanding the front to back characteristics of the
beam in question would be valuable. It would also follow that since the
F/B varies over the band that, you would get reasonable correlation
between skyward and tower top at points in the band with good F/B and
less agreement as the front to back degrades away from the optimum
design frequency.

Just a  theory not necessarily a fact......

Dave
N0DH