one pc, two monitors

Subject: one pc, two monitors
From: bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com (bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com)
Date: Thu Nov 7 14:21:00 1996

 Kr> I would suggest looking into a bargain 286 PC to run Geoclock or a
 Kr> similar  "gray-line" program.

 Kr> Many companies that still have those "clunkers" would probably be glad
 Kr> to  give them away so make friends with your LAN guys at work.  You
 Kr> might even  get a 386 if you're lucky.

Try http://www.onsale.com

They have 386 machines less monitor for $65-$110!!
Plus lots of other bargains.

73 Bill N6CQ/3

From: dave@egh.com (David Clemons) (David Clemons)
Subject: All the new-fnagled contest calls

Hi,

        How do you pick which call to answer when two or three people
answer your cq?  If I guess correctly, it is partially determined by your
ability to recognize one or more of those calls as belonging to an
experienced contester.  Do you answer the one who is likely to be a
newcomer first, and hope that the experienced contester will wait around
for awhile?  Or do you answer the contester whose call you recognize and
assume the newcomer will wait around?  (I don't need an answer for this
question...)

        Now, change the scenario slightly.  If you don't recognize any of
the calls, how do you guess which one to take first?  If you were called
by K1A and KBD1QVHE, would you make an assumption that one was more likely
to be a new contester than the other?  I think so.  There are (were) some
exceptions (i.e. KB4GID, KA9FOX, and WN4KKN), of course, but the general
case was probably fairly predictable.

        I'm happy that so many of you are excited about getting brand new
vanity calls. (I even considered one myself, but decided not to.)  However,
I am somehwat dismayed to see all my years of learning other people's
calls now going down the drain :-(.   What do I do now when I am called by
the likes of N9GG or N5KO or K1JA (to name only a few)?  Who the heck are
they - are they contesters or what?  I might have a hint when they send
their call at 40 wpm, but otherwise it's back to the Who's Who in Amateur
Radio Memory Course.  Oh well, it will give me something to do between
contests :-).

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT (still)

p.s. I predict a slight advantage in DX Contests during the next couple
     of years for those well known operators who did not change their calls.