Contest automation - be careful

Subject: Contest automation - be careful
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Sun Nov 10 13:01:07 1996
QSL Con. Your English is fine....much better than that of many people I work
with!

I like the speed shifting feature Tree has proposed simply because it is
something I do ANYWAY!

When I get called by N6TR and hit the exchange button, the next thing I do is
hit the speed and crank it up because I know he will be able to copy faster.

Sometimes I forget to "undo" this, and this is why I like this idea.

I agree that we have to be wary of de-humanizing contesting, but in my 25
years of doing it I still have those moments of jubilation during a contest
just like I did when I used seperates, didn't have a memory keyer and only
knew one guy who had stacked antennas...not to mention we were all paper
logging!  It still is a most exciting hobby...last weekend we still were
hooting and hollering at our station when we were called by the rare VY1
multiplier and hollered again when the last multiplier we needed for a clean
sweep called us.

The introduction of the conmputer has made contesting more fun because it has
eliminated the tedious duties of duping logs...those who make a lot of QSOs
could look forward to long periods of time AFTER the contest re-duping their
logs, uggggh.  Within minutes after a contest we know our scores, within
tenths of a percentage point...I was at Dayton when K1EA received induction
into CQ's Contest Hall of Fame for starting us down this road, and nobody
clapped any louder or longer than I did!

The tedious nature of post contest duping has been removed, now we can spend
that time doing something else, maybe even playing chess - or - if we are
wise, spending time with our families!

I agree that Pakcett has created a mess in that there are hams who think they
know DXing because they can pick off a spot from the cluster....huh?  But
these guys aren't winning anything - and they are spending more hours in the
contests making contests more enjoyable and a more "powerful"  force in the
amateur radio community - strength ALWAYS is in numbers I am afraid.

I still say hi to friends in the contest with the manual key - and just
because a callsign isn't in the master.dat file doesn't mean it doesn't
exist....I LOVE UNIQUES!  The problem is with those logs where the uniques
aren't SO unique.

Over 25 years ago, long before anyone thought about the ease of having one's
own PC in their own shack, another ham told me, the Novice, what a stupid
thing the 5NN report was in contests....since that time we have added an
awful lot of changes to the hobbie...but the 599 remains.  When 5995 is
replaced with something "more meaningful" everyone will make that
change...whether they have a computer or not.

I think Tree is onto something with the automatic speed  changing...why,
because the computer will now do something I have been doing by hand anyway -
just like my first memory keyer (an endless tape loop in a cassette player
driving a reed relay) did...bring it on.

73 - GL

Jim K4OJ

fka-k1zx