G3RZP

Subject: G3RZP
From: TELLAM@mccarthy.ca (Tim S. Ellam)
Date: Wed Nov 13 10:48:06 1996
Sorry for the bandwidth, but I am trying to find G3RZPs email address-I have
checked the
usual sources! Can anyone help?

Tim VE6SH

From: force12e@lightlink.com (Natan Huffman) (Natan Huffman)
Subject: 15 meter propagation

This morning whilst tuning around 15 meters at 1530z, I came across several
stations calling CQ.  This in itself is a positive indication that
propagation is not so bad, but what made it even more interesting is that
several of the CQ'rs were from VK.  Answered one of the VK3 as had a nice
long chat.  Seems that this was the first time he worked the East Coast as
it was 3:00 AM local time for him.  We marveled at the path for a while and
I finally moved on to answering other VKs calling CQ.

I think this experience is noticeable in that an opening to VK at that time
of the AM is extraordinary.  The path was definitely long path and per
GeoClock, this path had a substantial part of it in darkness.  The signal
peaked at the right place for long path and was uncopyable using any other
beam heading except for direct long path.

I wonder what propagation mode was involved here?  If you could count on
working VK/ZL through Europe during the CQWW, that would change my strategy
somewhat.  Unfortunately, I don't ever remember being answered by a VK
during a 15 meter run into Europe.  Of course long path openings of this
nature into VK are commonplace on 20, 40 and 80, but I don't think 15 meter
propagation into this part of the world via longpath is so common.

Natan

W6XR/2

W6XR@AMSAT.ORG