Tape of KV4AA

Subject: Tape of KV4AA
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Wed Nov 20 22:42:37 1996
H. L. Serra wrote:

> Anyone have a tape of Dick, KV4AA doin' his CW banana-boat swing during a
> contest? I would like to obtain a copy for a project. 73, Larry N6NC

KV4AA with a banana-boat swing? Surely, you jest.

I may well be wrong--I have never been on a banana boat--but I thought
the term referred to an open, heavily-asymmetric bug technique resulting
from slapping a bug with an exaggerated wrist swing. This is the very
antithesis of KV4AA's precise, machine-like keyer cw--which was
extremely unusual and distinctive in Dick's heyday.

As a kid on Long Island in the late fifties/early sixties, I would make
it a point to be on 14080 at 2230 GMT to listen to Dick knock out one
perfect short QSO after another. It was that which inspired me to build
a W9TO keyer and to save my precious dimes for an Autronic paddle.

OK, you CW experts and OT's--is Larry right or am I?
--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, The DXer