HTX-202 for Packet

Subject: HTX-202 for Packet
From: k2db@frontiernet.net (Paul Mackanos)
Date: Thu Nov 28 15:23:30 1996
Anyone have the spec's to get this critter on packet ???

 Thanks in advance de Paul K2DB

From: N6NT@worldnet.att.net (Bruce Sawyer) (Bruce Sawyer)
Subject: 160 M DX window

At 02:07 AM 11/28/96 +0000, you wrote:

>If you have any regard for the attempt of the ARRL and others to make the
>DX Window a viable possibility, I fail to understand your callous
>comments.
>
>There are several flagrant violators who wreck the "window" for others who
>are not fortunate enough to be well-positioned with geography,
>equipment, antennas, or even superior operating skill.  I personally feel
>that asking U.S. amateurs to preserve a tiny 5 khz window in the 2000 khz
>band for DX stations to call CQ is not tantamount to placing a burdon on
>them.

Well, I'll add my own 2 cents worth in on this one, and I hope I can do it
without enjoining major warfare.

First off, I do not support the concept of a "DX window" (whatever that is)
at all; I am absolutely opposed to it.  I understand this is a matter of
religious fervor to a lot of people, even though I doubt that any three
people have the same understanding of what constitutes "DX window", so I
just stay away from 1830-1835 completely.  Even when I'm outside of the
U.S., I treat that as a forbidden zone which might as well be taken over by
the SSTV gang.  The on-the-air courtesy, or lack thereof, that I see used in
trying to enforce the private notions of "DX window" isn't a whole lot
different from what I see coming out of the SSTVers anyway.

First off, everybody is DX to somebody else.  As hard as it is to believe,
there are people on the other side of the globe who consider it exciting to
make contact with places like Ohio, Illinois, and California.  Beats me why,
but they do.  To them, we are the quarry.  I think it's a very U.S.-centric
view of the world to say that non-US (or non-US/VE) is DX and can/should
have that slot and everybody else should stay out of it.

Secondly, I find there is very little consensus about what constitutes the
DX window or what the restrictions on it are.  The ARRL has stated 1830-1835
should be "used only for intercontinental QSLs".  (Quote taken directly from
QST.)  My dictionary says that means "carried on between different
continents".  In other words, that does NOT allow for Caribbean-to-US
contacts, and yet that what you will see during the 160 contests is
primarily Caribbean stations CQing in the so-called "DX window" with answers
coming from the US.  So if we want diligently to follow the ARRL definition,
then who is allowed to CQ in the "DX window"?  Everybody is DX to somebody,
and also distinctly not DX to somebody else.  If we're trying to dump on
US/VE operators, which seems to be the intent of this whole thing, then
since the "intercontinental" phrase in the wording seems to imply that
stations in the same continent as US/VE are not DX, I would guess it means
only non-North American stations are allowed to CQ in the range 1830-1835.
Thus any American who answers a V2 CQ is abusing the window, but it's OK to
answer a P4 CQ, since that's a different continent.  Excuse me, but I think
this is rediculous.  Also, get six different people in a room and they will
all tell you six different ideas about what the frequency limits of the
purported window are.  I've heard a lot of people try to claim all the way
down to 1820!

Another big problem with this idea of defining "DX Window", supposing we
could get some degree of agreement on frequency limits and permissible
utilization, is that there is too much variation from country to country in
the 160 frequency limits for that to work.  I hate to think of how many
HOURS I have spent calling CQ from my station in the Cayman Islands (ZF8BS)
in the only range I am allowed to operate:  1800-1825.  Everybody is up
listening 1830+, because that's where somebody told them the DX was supposed
to be.  Only the bright guys--and there aren't many--know to listen down
below 1825 for people like me.

Furthermore, promoting this idea of "DX Window" on 160 is causing the notion
to spread to the other bands as well.  I have had people come back and
chastise me for being chatty on 7005 because, in their words, this was the
"DX Window".  Bulls**t!  See the above!  It's bad enough that we're all
fighting over the concept of a "DX Window" on 160 without this spreading to
the other HF bands.

Every year about this time we see the same discussions erupt about the "DX
window" on 160.  There are challenges and accusations hurled around freely,
and everybody seems to want to be purer than the next guy in denouncing
those "abusers".  If you stand back and look at this whole situation, it
surely seems to me like the idea of "DX window" is being used as a rallying
cry to fight, argue, and divide us.  Is that what this is all about?   I'll
stay out of the range 1830-1835 entirely, just because I don't feel like
fighting.  But I think we would all be a lot better off if we would junk
this idea of "DX window" entirely.  And I'm sure not going to criticize
KC1XX or anybody else for whatever they do in that range.  I might even look
upon it as a laudable act of civil disobedience!

Bruce, N6NT

  I humbly submit that this is nonsense and we would all be vastly better
off if we would junk this idea of "DX Window".  It is being used only as a
rallying cry to start fights, and that is not what this whole game is
supposed to be about.