Logging dupes and sponsor log checking

Subject: Logging dupes and sponsor log checking
From: w2up@voicenet.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Mon Dec 9 10:57:42 1996
On  9 Dec 96, Rich L. Boyd <rlboyd@capaccess.org> wrote:

> I always log dupes.  Many reasons a QSO gets in one log and not the
> other.  When I call someone and he said "QSO before" I say "Somehow I
> messed up and didn't get it, could you log me again?"  That usually
> works, tho the op on the other end usually sounds confused by it all.  No
> need for confusion; if someone calls you again, work him again and log it.

I agree, Rich. In CQWW CW I called 8R1K on one band and was told "QSO
before." Took about 90 seconds for me to convince him he wasn't in my
log. What a waste of time for both of us! I had about 70 dupes in my
log from CQWW. Just work 'em and log 'em.

> Now, I hope CQ and ARRL are sophisticated enough in their log checking to
> look for a second "makeup" QSO if they don't find you in someone's log,
> but I've wondered whether they are picking up on this, haven't heard
> confirmation.

I recall a few postings in the past stating this wasn't the case. Don't
 know if it's changed. (hope so...)
73 Barry
--
Barry Kutner, W2UP                           Internet: w2up@voicenet.com
Newtown, PA                   FRC            alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com

From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan) (Frank Donovan)
Subject: Contest computer CMOS battery failure

My contest station has 14 computers, and its inevitable that I experience
the "low battery" CMOS warning occasionally!  Needless to say, I do not
want to experience a needless panic trying to determine CMOS parameters
in the hours before a contest!

Like the need for hard-drive backup (its not "if my hard fails" its: "when
my hard drive fails), its also very important to keep a record of CMOS
parameters for the inevitable battery failure!  In addition to keeping a
hard-copy printout of all of the CMOS parameters for each computer, I also
write the most critical CMOS parameters (the hard drive parameters) on a
piece of paper taped to the back of the computer.

73!
Frank
W3LPL
donovanf@sgate.com