FT-990 & Amplifier Switching

Subject: FT-990 & Amplifier Switching
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Sat Dec 28 09:37:22 1996

>With an SB-220, at least, there is
>sufficient RF leakage thru the amp relay, that you can copy QSK on the
>transceiver with the amp keyed, you lose mebbe 20-40 db, but you can
>usually tell if the DX is transmitting, which is what you need to know.
>(OK you Alpha owners, stop ROTFL...)

Most of the coupling is leakage through the tubes, not the relay. In a
grounded grid PA, the input is in series with the output, so some leakage is
always evident. ETO's are no exception to the laws of physics.

>Was a little concerned when first tried this that some switching spike
>from the amp might kill the xcvr front end if the xcvr was still in rcv
>when you key the amp, but this has worked fine for 4 years with a TS-440
>and 6 more years with a 950. YMMV.

If there is a switching transcient that would do this, the PA would almost
have to be a dirty PA that needs work.

I built a little circuit that goes across my key (not the output of the
keyer, but the key itself). When I close the key, it directly closes the amp
relay contacts and all the other relays. It has an open collector output, and
that output is in parallel with the rigs relay output. So before the rig even
gets a closure from the keyer the antenna relays are sent on their way to the
transmit mode.

This mod does not disturb QSK operation or any control functions. And still
works late at night when you are half asleep.

73 Tom