RFI in contest voice keyer .. help !

Subject: RFI in contest voice keyer .. help !
From: JPalooka@aol.com (JPalooka@aol.com)
Date: Wed Feb 5 10:23:26 1997
In a message dated 97-02-05 02:35:41 EST, Jukka.Klemola@nmp.nokia.com writes:

> Subj: RFI in contest voice keyer .. help !
>  Hi,
>  I bought a MFJ-342, and found a bad RFI problem
>  already with 100 W.. not even a linear yet.
>  It is connected to FT 1000 MP.
>  I am planning to go for a pedition with the setup..
>  Anyone solved those problems?
>
>  MFJ technical help's mailbox on compuserve is
>  full. I guess I am not alone with my problem with
>  their equipment.
>
>  I really would appreciate any helping messages.
>
>  Please, respond directly to me and I'll send a
>  summary on the list if this item interests many
>  people.
>
>  73,
>  Jukka (OH1JJS aka OH6Li)
Jukka,

I'm having a similar problem with another digital voice keyer. Mine appears
be a ground loop caused when I hook up the laptop computer.  It is a high
pitched tone that is probably from the switching power supply. I am
suspecting
the audio path I am using, as I have tied the mic ground and chassis ground
together in my FT990. I am going to pickup a 1:1 transformer from Radio Shack
today to isolate the microphone ground and the PTT ground.  I have found that
my FT990 is fairly vunerable to RFI, especially when I have the likes of an
earphone
plug partially plugged in.

Let me know how you make out. Also, if anyone else has run into this and
solved
it, I would appreciate hearing of your experience.

73, K8Joe"Palooka"