[CQ-Contest] When to run

Subject: [CQ-Contest] When to run
From: pbarkey@wp.bsu.edu (Patrick Barkey)
Date: Fri Mar 7 12:16:34 1997
Per K4HQ's question about when to run during a contest when running
100W to a low profile antenna:

I would broaden the question as follows:

[1] What contest can I run in (as in "run stations" not "participate")?

   You may not be able to run at all in some contests, like the CQ WW
SSB, especially when propagation limits participation to one or two
bands at any given time.  On the other hand, you may find it easier to run
in a contest with lighter participation rates, like the ARRL DX, the WAE, or
a domestic contest like the NAQP, especially on CW.

[2]  What band can I run on?

This you learn through day-to-day experience with your own station.  If
you cannot get DX to come back to your CQ's on 40 during casual,
non-contest operation, you'll never be able to run during a contest.  Don't
waste your time.  On the other hand, just because people come back to
you with your wet noodle during the week is no guarantee that you'll be
able to run with the big boys during contest weekends.

The question is, what bands do you get out best on?  Try running on
those.  Forget about the others.  When the contest is over, start working
on improving the bands you can't run on.

[3]  Where in the band should I try to run?

The short answer is that there isn't any one place.  You have to be
opportunistic, but generally speaking, the low end of the band is a no-no.
Even if a spot seems clear, listen closely.  W3LPL's backscatter signal
might not be very loud at your house, but you can be mighty sure its
obliterating whatever CQ's you're sending.

A good trick, if you're patient or lucky, is to go someplace someone has
just left.  If you hear 8p6xx say he's qsying to 20, jump right in on his
frequency and call CQ.  As long as he isn't M/M. :-)

[4]  What time during the contest should I try to run?

Again, you have to be opportunistic.  You can't afford to have any hard
and fast rules like "never CQ the first day," because the second day
might have terrible propagation.  But you've got to have a pretty big
station to be able to CQ right at the beginning of a contest, in the usual
flow of things.  Unless you have some propagation advantage, I wouldn't
try it.

You should try to run when (a) you know you have propagation to a well
populated area, and (b) you aren't making much headway with s&p.  For
some of us, this could mean that you try to run 50-60 percent of the
contest.

[5]  How long should I keep trying to run?

For a "rookie" contester, the answer is "longer than you think."  You
might not want to stay in one place Cqing without answers (especially if
you don't want to incur the wrath of the reflector police :-) ), because it
might mean that your frequency is lousy.  On the other hand, any other
frequency you get might be just as lousy, so don't be fooled by a few
minutes of dead space in your log into folding your tent.

You get a lot of "freebies" when you run.  I'm talking about the multipliers
that end up calling you.  They'd rather go up and down the band
answering people than generate their own piles.  You can't count on it,
but when it does happen it sure gives you a big boost!

In my humble opinion, you don't really get "hooked" on contesting until you
start running stations, however briefly.  Up until then, a DX contest is just
a chance to fill up your log book more quickly.  Running is different -- it
involves knowing your station, trusting your ability to listen and pick out
calls quickly, and challenging yourself to increase your rate.  When you
start doing that, you become a real contest junkie, and all of a sudden
that all band vertical just doesn't cut the mustard any more ...

   -- Pat
      N9RV