[CQ-Contest] FT-1000 PIN diodes in RX section

Subject: [CQ-Contest] FT-1000 PIN diodes in RX section
From: bschwerdlin@hlb.com (Bob Schwerdlin)
Date: Mon Mar 10 09:41:57 1997
Greetings Kevin,

Well, I've never had a bit of problems either, but I'm not sure I've ever
experienced the TX power delay that you mentioned.  It might have something
to do with the fact that I made a mod to the rig early on.

I got sick and tired of hearing the damn external TX port relay clanking
away.  It's LOUD sounding.  I don't know why Yaesu didn't put in a reed
relay for the external relay port.  So I made the mod, by using a Radio
Snack 12V reed relay and wired it in parallel with the QSK side of the
on/off switch for the external keying relay.  This way, if I need to use the
original external keying relay for whatever reason, all I have to do is go
inside the rig and flip (I think??) SW1003 ?? for the relay.

Now, my FT1K is easily as quiet as any QSK (electronic) rig around and also
keys my Alpha 78 NO PROBLEM.  Believe me, on CW, which is where I spend the
majority of my time, it's a life saver... even when wearing headphones.

I'll keep you posted on the PIN diode mod pros & cons.