[CQ-Contest] FT1000MP/SB200 ALC Interface?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] FT1000MP/SB200 ALC Interface?
From: jomara@pdi-wdc.com (John O'Mara)
Date: Fri Mar 14 11:44:57 1997
Hi All,

        I recently received my FT 1000MP and I love it.  It is really
amazing how with the Collins CW filters and the DSP Noise Reduction and
bandpass shapes how you can take those signals that you can just tell are in
there and pull them up to something that is readable.  I find I can do this
with most signals I can detect on 160.  That doesn't mean I can work them as
my antenna and power level are usually not sufficient, but at least I can
hear them now.  Sorry for the ramble but I am very happy with the radio.

        Now for the reason for this post.  I used to drive my SB 200 amp
with my TS-690 which expected to see an ALC voltage of -6 VDC to -12 VDC
from the amp.  As the original SB 200 design provided a much higher voltage
than that (I'm not sure how much) I installed a zener diode in the ALC line
to ground which limited the ALC voltage to -8 VDC.  I think the Heathkit
Tech Support people in Benton Harbor told me how to do this.  Anyways, now I
have this new radio which I don't have the ALC line hooked up to as I know
the 1000MP wants some different voltage range for the ALC.  Has anyone done
a mod to the SB 200 to allow for the ALC line on an SB 200 to be connected
to a 1000MP.  Or should I bother.  Thanks for you input and I'll see y'all
in the VA QSO party this weekend.  73, Jack W4NF ex-WB4NFS