[CQ-Contest] Contesting and HAARP

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and HAARP
From: k7ss@wolfenet.com (Eskenazi/Leveque)
Date: Sun Mar 16 09:39:13 1997
At the WWDXC post meeting bull session last night, someone mentioned having
listened to the HAARP transmission test on 6.990 last Saturday night.
He said here in Seattle it was "62 db over s 9".

Have read a little in the patents granted to the project, on the web, and
there seems to be lots of potential big changes for radio CONTESTING, not to
mention the whole planet. Remember I said "potential".

Is there anyone on the reflector who has studied the  project and can give a
good middle of the road analysis of HAARP?  I have read the piece about
the "antenna farm" up near Fairbanks in QST, and there is an official HAARP
webpage to read, but there are warnings from those outside the project. What
happens when you aim a gigawatt of RF at the ionoshpere
on 7MHZ?

Hey, I just want to be ready when they open the daylight path to EU on 40
meters by ionizing a dead band!  On the other hand, they may be creating
a total aurora, and kill the polar path.

Just looking for a level headed analysis of whats going on up there, and
what its going to do to CONTESTING.

73
Danny K7SS
Eskenazi/Leveque