[CQ-Contest] OMNI VI and SSB operation

Subject: [CQ-Contest] OMNI VI and SSB operation
From: csilver@riosoft.softex.br (Carlos Augusto S. Pereira)
Date: Mon Mar 31 13:55:40 1997
Dear friends,

I am very close to purchase an OMNI VI, and I have no doubts that I am
talking about the best receiver available in the market. You know? I have
been operating on 80 meters for about 10 months in both modes CW and SSB. I
have a shortned vertical for 3500 and a dipole for 3790 (at 40ft). There is
no way to improve my antenna system because I live in a city lot. My
previous radio was an 850 and it worked fine in CW with the vertical due to
a 500hz filter but in SSB I had problems of headache after a long time
operating on this band. The 850 is very noise on the low bands/SSB!!

The OMNI VI is very popular for having a quiet receiver. How about the OMNI
on 80/SSB? Also very quiet. Allows the user to listen for an extended period
of time? Much better than the 850?

I operated single band (80m) this last WPX SSB with my backup rig FT757GXII.
Took a lot of aspirins during the contest. Is the OMNI VI an stomach saver? :)!

BTW, I am considering also the FT920. Does anyone know something about this
radio?

Thank you again guys,

Carlos - PY1CAS
E-mail: silver@ax.apc.org