[CQ-Contest] 160 Mode Segmentation Survey

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 160 Mode Segmentation Survey
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Mon Apr 7 01:30:36 1997
First, many thanks to the following 128 respondants to the survey
posted on the Topband and CQ-Contest Reflectors:

N2QT, K6EID, WA2IZL, W0MU, N7CKD/0, K9UWA, N5UL, KF2O, AA1K, KJ9I,
KM1H, K1ZM, K5ZD, N9JF, W4YO, W0YG, KJ9C, VE3XSP, W1WAI, W4FX
NX1G, K4IQ, W8EH, K5QY, NJ2L, N4OO, N7UA, N7EX, W8IK, K3LR, K9RJ,
K8MFO, K2KIR, KW9KW, K2WI, W8NW, K5NA, K4ESE, K0SD, W4JVN, W3GH, W1JR,
W4ZV, SM3CWE, SM0AJU, K9FD, W5UN, K3BU, W3UR, K3SME, K1AM, W2VO, W9TW,
KF7E, N6ND, N2NT, N3SL, N5IA, N8TR, W7AT, K0HA, AE7H, W7GG,
WA2DFI, 4S7RPG, N3MLV, K4ODL, K2XA, W7LR, W4YV, W8JI, W0RI, W5PS,
K0CS, W9II, W2CYA, K1MEM, N4TO, KG6I, K1HTV, K0HB, W7FKF, W4MZ, N6TR
WI0R, N2NL, W4BUW, K0EU, AJ6T, K3WW, N3KK, W7ZRC, AA9DX, K4ZA, K4XL,
K9KU, W8AV, VE1PZ, W0UY, KH8/N5OLS, W6GO, W1ZC, AA4V, N5KO, K3UL, K2EK,
K2KW, AB4HF, KI7Y, K8SM, AA8U, W3EA, N4KG, WT3Q, KE3Q, K8RF, WB9Z,
K0GEX, N3RR, N4AR, AA4Z, W3BGN, NA2U, N3RD, K8IP, AA3B, N3MKZ and W2GC.

Here's the raw data:

In favor of 1800-1840 for CW only (including digital):  17%
In favor of 1800-1845 for CW only (including digital):  38%
In favor of 1800-1850 for CW only (including digital):  25%
Total in favor of some CW segmentation (sum of above):  80%
Total in favor of no CW segmentation (present case):  20%

Qualitative observations (based on my assessment of the operating
habits of the respondants):

--CW only DXers tended to favor more than the 1840 limit but many added
they would be happy just to get 1840 as a fallback.  (As I mentioned in
my initial message, most CW is below 1840 presently.  The options
above 1840 were mainly intended to offer an option for a buffer/DX
Window for SSB DX, which could listen above the window for the USA.)

--SSB/CW DXers tended to favor the 1845 limit as a good tradeoff.

--no SSB only DXers responded to the best of my knowledge.

--East Coast contesters were STRONGLY in favor of no change.

--Other contesters were mixed in their responses.

--few SSB ragchewers responded but most would be in favor of no change
based on on-air discussions.

--no CW ragchewers responded to the best of my knowledge.

--few overseas respondants but most favored the 1840 option since
1840-1850 is the primary SSB window in Europe.

--there is a divergence of opinion as to whether restricting US
SSB operation in the 1840-1850 area would be good or bad.  It seems to
boil down to whether the individual likes split SSB DX operation or not.
Some cite split operation on 40 and 80 as a good example and others
use the same as a bad example!

--several mentioned the need to coordinate any segmentation with the IARU
(may be difficult due to the widely different frequency assignments
on 160 throughout the world).

Thanks again to all who responded.  I am going to forward these results
to K1KI and ask how we should proceed from here.  As always, feel free
to contact your ARRL Division Director and give him your inputs.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV