[CQ-Contest] WPX RULES

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX RULES
From: MartinL@appdes.com.au (Martin Luther)
Date: Wed Apr 9 13:46:58 1997
I have been interested to see the thread that says essentially "if the
rules make it impossible to win just don't play".

I begin to wonder at my sanity. What kind of idiot am I? For the
decade '73 to '84 and again since 1990 I have contested as VK4VU and
then VK5GN. In many different contests. The rules favour, with VK5 at
the bottom, first VK4 and VK6 then northern Oceania KH6 etc, then
anyone near the equator but in a low population continent.

So why do I do it......and more importantly why am I encouraging
others to do it and try and beat me as top VK5.

BECAUSE CONTESTING IS FUN!!!!

Winning is a buzz, but heck for most contests the feedback on the win
is over a year after the effort.

I am a little crazy, everyone tells me so. In a democracy that makes
them right, right?

The greatest contesting buzz to date was being a participant in WRTC,
I didn't even come close to winning, but what a great time what a
fantastic gift of pleasure to us all from the organisers. I went
knowing I wouldn't win. I think I can do better than I did but that is
the challenge to be there was the win.

Do better, learn something, improve the station, get a buzz from the
"thanks for the multiplier I thought we had missed you VK guys!" That
is also a win.

Hey I'm not nuts after all I'm just doing something I passionately
enjoy.  Sure, I'll have an occasional whine about the rules that
favour others. Just humour me with sympathetic noises and I'll be back
in the next one.

That'll be me struggling to catch up with Al in KH6 who is usually
double my Q's within the first couple of hours. I win by getting
within 25% of his Q's at any time. He will always win if he is
trying.....good operator.  That'll be me watching the VK4EMM multi
single crew get away from me early in WPX ,over two hundred Q's ahead.
Damn. When I take my next big break I am 5 ahead of
them......gotcha!!!! BIG BUZZZZZZ! That'll be me giving out contacts
to anyone who needs them on all bands including 80 and 160, despite
the phone frequency hassles and a 400W power limit.

Don't forget you aggressive winners that want the rules to suit your
views before you'll play. It's nuts like me that cannot win but just
have a wonderful time that give you the contacts to get over 10million
points. It's nuts like me that give you multipliers. It's nuts like me
that make the major contests the huge events that they are now.

I can't respect these serious people who have to win to play......join
me in the nut hutch, its fun, relaxing and only mildly injurious to
your health.

Martin VK5GN
MartinL@appdes.com.au