[CQ-Contest] Keyboard and Headset (w/ mic) Tips

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Keyboard and Headset (w/ mic) Tips
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O Hachadorian)
Date: Fri May 9 22:45:54 1997
On Thu, 8 May 1997 20:03:53 -0400 (EDT) John Brosnahan <broz@csn.net>
writes:

>Second item is a headset incorporating a microphone from Radio Shack.
>It is called the Optimus PRO-50MX.  It looks a lot like the Heil Pro
>as far as the type of boom for the mic and the size of the ear pads,
>etc.
>It differs from the Heil in two areas (well three if you count price).
> The headphones are more hi-fi in their frequency response, whereas the
>Heils are more communications.  This allows more hiss to get through from
>the radio, probably adding some fatigue--but I have incorporated a
>hiss filter in my system so it is a moot point for me.   On the bottom end
>it covers more bass frequencies.  I like a very low note on CW so this is
>an advantage.  And I guess I like my headphones' freq response to be
>capable of being tailored by me with external filters rather than
>having a pre-tailored, limited-response style.
>
>Same goes for the microphone.  I like the Heil HC-4 element for its
>sound but it's probably preferable to have a flatter mic element and then
>tailor the exact response with an external EQ.  The mic in the Radio
>Shack is much flatter in freq response--allowing me to EQ it whatever way I
>want.  Good news is that the headset is normally $50 and is on sale
>at Radio Shack for only $40 (which is 1/3 that of the Heil Pro).   A
>real clue about who makes the unit is the "KOSS" molded into the 1/8' phone
>connectors.  They sound good on the radio as well as on the stereo.
>Radio Shack part # 33-1135

I tried one of these today, without equalizer. The mic has almost
no high frequency output. Even with a coupling capacitor as small
as .01 uf, and the TS-850's "high boost" turned on, the output
sounded mushy. There was no use going below .01 uf, because there
was already inadequate audio to properly drive the vox and rig.
Heil has nothing to fear from this set, at least not without
equalization.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
k6ll@juno.com