[CQ-Contest] Re: Headset (w/ mic) Tips

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Headset (w/ mic) Tips
From: n4si@pobox.com (n4si@pobox.com)
Date: Sat May 10 20:59:47 1997
> >>I like the Heil HC-4 element for its sound but...

> >I tried one of these today, without equalizer. The mic has almost
> >no high frequency output.

> Heil has nothing to fear from this set, at least not without
> equalization. Dave is right -- the stock mic element is pretty
> bassy.  ...They are a bit smaller and there is more
> pressure than the Heils so the comments about fatigue that were
> made are also relevant.
>
> At 1/3 the price they seem like a good deal if you can change the
> mic element or have a sophiticated EQ system, but probably aren't
> competition to the Heils. But they do give a calibration point on
> value.

> Think I will look around for a mic element that is cheap and small
> and readily available to see if I can convert these headsets into
> something a little better.

I'm getting a kick out of this thread. It reminds me of something I
learned in my "car" years in college. We used to talk a lot about
shoveling a Porsche or a small V8 engine into a Volkswagen. Then
someone pointed out that what you got in the end was a fast
Volkswagen.

Let's see: a headset for 1/3 the cost of the ProSet. Add $30 to put a
Heil element in it. Try to find an older RS head band. Voila, a Radio
Shack headset.

In the woodworking reflector that I subscribe to, someone has a
tagline that says, "buy the best. Only cry once." I can't think of a
more appropriate place to use it than here.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996