[CQ-Contest] Phase noise?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Phase noise?
From: w2up@bellatlantic.net (Barry Kutner)
Date: Tue May 13 01:25:31 1997
Hi Contesters:

I have the misfortune of a long-time inactive ham, who lives
nearby, getting back on the air. He is running a
Kenwood 570 (I think) and a Butternut vertical, located about 400 ft
from my tower. We ran some tests over the weekend, and when he's on
the air (barefoot), I hear an S-5 to S-6 white/hash noise on my
FT-1000D. When I xmit running 1500W, there is no trace of me on his
rcvr.

Is this phase noise from his xcvr I am hearing? Any
(reasonable) suggestions on how to suppress this noise appreciated.
73 Barry
CU at Dayton...
--
Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up@bellatlantic.net