[CQ-Contest] 5nn

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 5nn
From: w2xx@cloud9.net (J.P. Kleinhaus)
Date: Thu May 29 11:29:45 1997
I respectfully disagree with KI1G on the matter of 5NN and signal
reports being obsolete in general.  While I always give out 5NN
as a report (the software forces this), I don't always receive
the same in return.  Thankfully the software still allows one
to receive reports other than 5NN.

Much discussion has taken place on this reflector regarding the value
of 5NN as a "sync pulse" and mentally prepares one for the following
data which needs to be copied (except in CQWW DX).  I personally find
this to be true and I like 5NN for that reason.

On the issue of cut numbers, I am ambivalent about it.  Yes, receiving
something like ANTA after my 5NN is sometimes more difficult.  The
translation of ANTA into 1901 sometimes takes more than one clock cycle.
What I find is that certain numbers make sense in cut format, but others
don't.  The worse is E for 5.

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of operating a small stint
at 4U1UN and spent Saturday afternoon playing WPX.  I gave out
cut numbers and was asked for repeats maybe 10 out of 500+ QSO's.
It seemed that most people who were wizzing along at 35+ WPM couldn't
grab the call when I called them in S&P mode at their speed. Cut
numbers weren't the problem, it was the inability to copy an unfamiliar
call coming at you out of the noise of other people calling you.

Just my $1.380 worth...

73, J.P. W2XX
J.P. Kleinhaus, W2XX  (fdba AA2DU)
E-mail:  w2xx@cloud9.net

As we say in the software business:  "You are hosed."