[CQ-Contest] Picking your own prefix in WPX.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Picking your own prefix in WPX.
From: ramirezk@emi.com (Ken N4UK)
Date: Thu May 29 12:18:28 1997
Picking your own prefix is not allowed! Only DX can do this when
they are in a country not indicated by the callsign they are
using. The callsign you use must indicate the dxcc country you
are in. KH6XXX living in California can sign KH6XXX/w6 or/wt6
etc. He is forced to do so since signing only KH6XXX without the
portable designator would be against the rules and would be
unethical in a contest. If you are in w3 you can sign kw4t or
kw4t/3. In the latter the prefix will count as kw3. Imagine if
the contest allowed one to pick any prefix they wanted to use!
It would be chaos. I went through this when I had the KH2F and
KP4XS callsigns and had to use the portable in the wpx, arrl,and
cqww contests. CQ needs to reclarify this before it gets out of
hand.
73 Ken N4UK

On Wed, 28 May 1997, Dan Weisenburger <kw4t@erols.com> wrote:
>Hi Group,
snip
>BTW,  I was glad to see John, W4UE, add a prefix to the mix.
I'm also planning something like that when other KW4's join the
WPX battle next year.

>73 from Lake Moneysgone,  Dan,  KW4T

         Mark your calendars! 12, 13 July 97
             "Internet 6M DX Contest"